How much is this 71 mustang convertible "Boss" clone worth?

Guest Neb519

I'll preface this by saying I'm not very knowledgeable about cars in general, but I've always had a thing for classic Mustangs. I've never owned one, but I just saw this ad for a 71 mustang convertible. http://neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/4769712880.html

Since I've never even driven a classic Mustang I really have no idea how much that car is worth. Does it seem priced appropriately? Is there anything I should know/look out for when purchasing an old car like this? And what does he mean by "clone"?

Please forgive my "newbie-ness" on the subject. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

A clone is a car that has been modified to make it look like a higher end vehicle. Pontiac Tempests are turned into GTOs, Regular MoPars have Hemi engines installed, etc. Sometimes they are very hard to tell from an original. That Mustang is not. I think the real Boss 302s had a different hood with scoops. I don't know Mustangs very well, but the price seems high for a regular lightly optioned convert. Others may chime in with more expert opinions

To stary with a #1 car is not driven usualy so this one would be a #2 or #3.

NADA lists a #3 conv. at $15,000 to $28,000 for a #2

A boss coupe lists at $50,00 for a #3 and $75,000 for a #2

As always, the value of the car sits with the condition, the location, and the amount in the buyers pocket.

It's really not anywhere close to a real Boss 351, which was 1971 only, and they never built a convertible version and never with an automatic transmission. I wouldn't get hung up on what it's trying to be and just focus on what it is: a 1971 Mustang convertible with a V8. Base your value judgements on that and that alone. The cosmetics that make it look like a Boss have 0 effect on value. If it's solid, clean, well-done, and driveable, I would think that $16-18K would be a good price.

That said, I do kind of like "could have beens" and there was a guy in town when I was in high school who built a bunch of cars that the factory could have built but didn't, like a 1970 Boss 302 convertible and a 1971 fastback with a 429 Drag Pack drivetrain. Very factory-correct looking just as if the factory had built it. Both cars fooled more than a few people and they were very nicely done, but he never tried to pass them off as anything other than works of imagination.

Thank you all a ton for your help. I realize it's hard to value a car without seeing it, but I was just looking for a ball park price. I'm trying to avoid paying 23,000 for something worth 15,000, not super worried about paying 18,000 for something worth 17,000.