2015 Mini Cooper S Convertible

Bill Harmatuk

Had to post this. Hope "General" is the OK spot.

My wife and I just ordered a 2015 Mini Cooper S convertible, with the High Gate package, plus many other options. Her car and my fun. When we got married she was driving an '81 MGB convertable. I was driving a 1979 Datsun 280 ZXR. Gone but not forgotten. I have been after her to get a car that would put "FUN" back into her life.

I did all kinds of research on Mini, since they are made by BMW. I swore to myself , that we will never own a "European" automobile. (Not reliable and expensive to work on). Reviews on Mini Coopers are quite impressive. And here I am....

If you have never driven a Mini Cooper S, you need to. Switch on the power button on an entry ramp.

So excited. Probably more than my wife.

What do you think. Be honest with comments.

Bill H

Guest straight shooter

I have been told they are great handling cars but are unreliable. This comes from a mechanic that has worked on plenty of them. He has also told me that the earlier the worse. Hopefully the 2015's have all of the issues resolved.

Hi Bill,

I have a 2012 Cooper S, factory ordered, with about 31,000 miles on, has been a very reliable car so far. It is my every day driver. I do make sure to change my oil every 5000 miles, more often than MINI recommends, even on full synthetic I would not go to the factory interval of 10,000 miles especially with a turbo. The only issue I had was a minor coolant leak last year that was quickly taken care of by the dealer while I waited. It is a hoot to drive, gets great mileage, and mine got me through every snowstorm Mother Nature threw at us here in the Northeast last winter.

Have a friend with one. It's big fun to drive. If I was looking for that kind of car, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. As far as BMW reliability goes, we're on our fourth, about to order the fifth one. Great cars, great to drive and no problems.

My wife has a 2010 Cooper S Mayfair (automatic) which she has had from new. So far it has travelled about 40,000 klms without any issues. There are quicker cars but I doubt they are as much fun to drive. I'm sure you and your wife in particular will love it.