Paint

My father wishes to paint his 1930 Model A Ford "Thorne Brown" He was told that the government has stopped production of lacquer paints. Where can he get the paint? Or what is being accepted on the cars now to still be considered authentic for judging? Any help would be appreciated.

I doubt he can acquire lacquer paint. And for good reason, the stuff is dangerous. Afraid I don't know what the acceptable substitute is -- hopefully just normal paint with clearcoat. But I don't know for sure.<P>Cheers, 3MP

Dbrhlad,<P> Or try your local NAPA dealer. They are linked with Martin Senior Paint who still supply's all lacquer products. In fact Martin Senior recently stepped up their interest with antiques and has issued color chip and formula books of certain vintage years, one being a Model A chip book. Check it out. As for closing out lacquer paint, I have heard that you can not buy it in some areas. (Not Sure) I do know my oldest supplier here in Central PA. stopped carry it this past spring, however that was due to the lack of demand for it only. If your father is more comfortable spraying lacquer than others, stay with it. It's safer than today's catalyst urethanes that I spray every day. If you still have problems, come back on and I'll try to assist you the best I can.<BR> <BR>Rick<BR>

Lacquer paint is still legal and readily available, at least here in Pa where I sell automotive paint. Check with your local PPG paint distributer, we have many original formulas for Model A colors. However, most of the restorers that I come in contact with are using more modern single stage urethane paints that are easier to work with than lacquer and hold their gloss much longer. Special care must be taken when using any automotive paint though, whether lacquer, enamels, or urethanes. Always protect any exposed skin surfaces, especially your eyes, and a good respirator is a must. If you are spraying any paint containing isocyanates, you should be using a supplied air system. I'm not trying to scare anyone out of painting but want to save a few lungs if I can. I'll check at work tomorrow for your color and if I find a formula I'll post another reply in a few days. Good Luck!

One of the initial questions was what is acceptable for judging? AACA wants to see an original color in a finish that appears as original as possible. We really don't care if the actual paint is nitrocellulose laquer, acrilic, or whatever. We realize that most of the original paints had serious lasting defects and in many cases are now prohibited by the EPA. Find the color match and paint safely.

• 22 years later...

Google TCP Global. I have bought lacquer paints from them in the past - great quality and decent prices (you're never going to find good auto paint at a cheap price anywhere).

They have all the Ford Model A colors.

A non-metallic acrylic lacquer paint (like your Ford) is probably the easiest and safest way to paint as a do-it-yourselfer.  You can make a lot of mistakes with acrylic lacquer and mend them fairly easily - it's forgiving.  And, if you work at it, you can get a fantastic shine.

An acrylic lacquer finish won't last as long as urethane, but it looks better (my opinion). If you take care of the paint job, it will last you for years. 

You still need breathing protection, but lacquer is not as dangerous as urethanes and isocyanates. 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 9:00 PM, RansomEli said:

Google TCP Global. I have bought lacquer paints from them in the past - great quality and decent prices (you're never going to find good auto paint at a cheap price anywhere).

They have all the Ford Model A colors.

A non-metallic acrylic lacquer paint (like your Ford) is probably the easiest and safest way to paint as a do-it-yourselfer.  You can make a lot of mistakes with acrylic lacquer and mend them fairly easily - it's forgiving.  And, if you work at it, you can get a fantastic shine.

An acrylic lacquer finish won't last as long as urethane, but it looks better (my opinion). If you take care of the paint job, it will last you for years. 

You still need breathing protection, but lacquer is not as dangerous as urethanes and isocyanates. 

I like TCP Global and purchase Reflex Blue for my 1923 Moon, Base Coat $217. and used about half a gal.

moon rt front with left fender good photo.JPG

• Like 1