Cold start with choke = fuel pouring out of the air cleaner 1926 Std

hidden_hunter

Another one of those, not quite sure where to start looking problems. Basically when I go to start the car if it's cold (in mild 15c weather) and use 3/4 choke I end up with fuel pouring out of the air cleaner. Subsequent starts with no choke seem to work fine

What's the likely cause of this?

I have always started my cars with updraft carbs, when cold, the same way.

3/4 throttle, full choke, start cranking and at first sign of firing, immediately back off on the choke and begin closing the throttle until engine is idling smoothly. No engine racing. It has almost never failed me, and I have been doing it for a long time.

All great ideas! I've recently had problems with flooding, etc....and just tried starting up my '32 with no choke and some throttle. Started to crank and pulled the choke some more and she fired right up! Thanks, Don. You got me thinking about that one! PS: The car just survived her first earthquake yesterday.

Regards,

Jay

Some interesting comments. I have owned 1010, 19i31, 1932 with updraft carbs and two 1938's with downdrafts.

I cant remember ever flooding the updrafts. I have had gas run on the ground when starting, but that doesnt matter provided there isnt enough in the cylinders to foul the plugs.

I dont drive the '18 much, and when I do, when I first start, after turning on the vacuum tank, I actually push the "tickle" button on the carb that holds the float open until I do see gas running out of the carb. Then I know there is gas there.

Then I do the full choke, wide throttle thing and crank and it'll fire right up after just a few turns.

And, nope, I have never had a fire.

The 38's can be easy to flood with that throttle start system.