OT, but someone here probably has the answer...

JV Puleo

I need to buy a shop manual to go with my '98 Jimmy SLS. The problem is, I've no idea which manual is appropriate having little knowledge (or interest) in modern cars aside from transportation. A quick ebay search turns up manuals for the right year, described as for the "Jimmy S/T". Is that what I'm looking for? Its hard to believe I was a mechanic in a volvo dealership once, but that was so long ago that the newest cars I worked on are antiques now!

Thanks for the help...

That's weird,,, we used to refer to a "Jimmy" as something entirely different back in the day.

It's a vehicle ? Who knew.. :confused: :rolleyes:

On a serious note,

This should be what your looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-S-10-and-GMC-Sonoma-Blazer-Jimmy-Envoy-Service-Manual-1994-1998-/151365098297?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item233e101b39

They lump a lot of different vehicles in the same manual anymore.

For instance, the 2000 Malibu, Alero and Pontiac Grand Am are all covered in the same book believe it or not.

That's weird,,, we used to refer to a "Jimmy" as something entirely different back in the day.

It's a vehicle ? Who knew.. :confused: :rolleyes:

That was my reaction too. I'd never even heard of them and this one was bought on the basis of expediency and price. But, it turns out someone apparently tried to steal it at one time and I'm having ignition switch problems (endemic with these in any case)... the harness was cut through and poorly patched back together. I have the Hayes manual... its pretty much useless. The same can be said for the various "internet" sources which are inadequate at best although I'm inclined to use stronger terms when deep into an electrical mess and unable to see a way out.

Guest AlCapone

it is my opinion that anything produced in print media, can be found on the internet if you have the patience and the computer skills !

Wayne

I'm inclined to use stronger terms when deep into an electrical mess and unable to see a way out.

Totally understand, especially when it comes to electrical !

Yes, Haynes are pretty much worthless for that... Let us know what you find though, I'd be interested in a source that covers the ignition in a more comprehensive way also for two of my vehicles.

it is my opinion that anything produced in print media, can be found on the internet if you have the patience and the computer skills !

Wayne

Well, I am the technical editor of an antique arms magazine and spend two or three hours a day doing internet research... or rather, using the internet to locate documents for our authors, so I probably have more experience than most. That said, if you don't know how a job is done, its impossible to know that the instructions you've downloaded are good until you're too deep into the project to go back. I've also written two books on arms disassembly and reassembly so I've some real-life experience with writing directions.

As far as the more esoteric subjects are concerned, you couldn't be more wrong. What the internet offers, generally, has a depth suitable to a high-school-term-paper. If you need more, it may be useful for locating the material. Also, the internet is incapable of vetting anything. Anyone can post anything on any subject regardless of how little they know about it. As one of my academic friends once said, "its the most efficient means of disseminating bad information ever invented."

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

As far as the more esoteric subjects are concerned, you couldn't be more wrong. What the internet offers, generally, has a depth suitable to a high-school-term-paper. If you need more, it may be useful for locating the material. Also, the internet is incapable of vetting anything. Anyone can post anything on any subject regardless of how little they know about it. As one of my academic friends once said, "its the most efficient means of disseminating bad information ever invented."

Amen to that. Sites like Ask.com are worthless. I do believe that the original intent of the other post was to suggest that you might be able to find a factory service manual on-line for free. This may be the case, but personally I'll just spend the money and buy a used original paper copy on ebay. This multi-volume set is what you are looking for. There's one complete set on ebay right now for about $33. Be sure to get the updated second edition.

post-48036-143142655816_thumb.jpg

I can see we're on the same page (pun intended!) I've already ordered one, exactly as you suggest, the last, updated version. I did muddle through the job. The car is up and running and on the road today, actually running a bit better than it did before, which I attribute to the complexity of the electronic controls and the ill effects of the ignition harness having been cut and poorly spliced together. There were literally connections where the cheap electrical tape had fallen off and the twisted wires were bare. The check engine light is off for the first time in a month. No wonder I was having problems. As much as I like cars, I hate the pressure of knowing I have to get it fixed NOW because I have to be somewhere tomorrow. I'd never want to run a garage and deal with that every day, though its not awful if you know exactly what has to be done. Its the uncertainty that is distressing.

I did damage two of the plastic bits, primarily because the instructions I used were so inadequate, but a trip to the local junk yard will cure that... I've got to get a bumper corner too (the result of backing into a tree when in a hurry and not paying attention).

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)