Cut out issues

Guest etnfrd67

Guest etnfrd67

What would cause my 37 d5 to die while driving? I will be just driving along the engine will not completely die out but it wont take any gas to keep moving along. I will take the car out of gear the car will die and then I can just start it right back up and it keep going. When I start it back up the amp meter will max out at 30 amps and slowly come back down to normal. This will happen when the car is cold or hot so I don't think it is vapor lock runs at 170 degrees. Whole fuel system is new from the gas tank, lines, pump, sending unit, and carb rebuild. New coil, wires, plugs, and pertonics ignitor. Any Ideas? Could it be the voltage regulator?

Tough one here. An engine needs 3 things to run.

1) Air - This is from the air cleaner to the valves. Can the engine breath?

2) Electricity - Spark to the plugs

3) Fuel - Did you set it up with an inline fuel filter?

Your problem sounds like fuel filter or a spitting fuel pump. This is just a place to start. It could be a lot of different items!

Keep us posted!

Bill

It sounds like fuel, (not taking the throttle). Try pulling the choke when it happens. If it seems to get better for a few seconds it is starving.

One thing you mention is an all new fuel system, A hint that this should be the first thing to check.

Guest etnfrd67

Tried the choke idea a few times already is did not make a difference. There is a in-line filter clear nothing in it and full never any air in it.

Definitely sounds like something fuel related but as Bill said it could be many things....

Could the carb be flooding out somehow ?

Could there be an oil leak or something causing loss of compression ?

Any loose wires ?

Could it be the voltage regulator ?

Yes, it could be any one of those things. Although if it were the voltage regulator you'd know it because it would drain the battery and cause it not to start at all at some point but you said it starts right up so I doubt it's the VR. Now, if your battery goes dead soon from all the cranking restarts then you may have your answer.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Tried the choke idea a few times already is did not make a difference. There is a in-line filter clear nothing in it and full never any air in it.

You stated the in-line filter is clear. Are you sure the fuel is flowing? Remove the coil wire completely and then disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Attach a 6' rubber fuel line hose to the line. Have someone crank the engine for you so you can see how the fuel flows. (Into a gas can of course) If it's a mechanical pump it will pulse flow. If it's electrical it should be a steady flow.

One more thing, have you changed gas caps lately?

Bill

Is there a small "floating" particle of something in the carb? When running (carb under low pressure a.k.a. suction) it could cover a fuel way. When you shut down it settles away from the fuel way and you can start up again. I had flakes of shellac doing this. They came from the flaking coating on the fuel level sender cork float.