1955 Super Convertible - seeking information

50jetback

Earlier this year I purchased a 1955 Super Convertible

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/confession-time-369980.html

and it has turned out to be a great car ( been neglecting a couple of others which are sulking in the shed ).

Seeing as how I am so impressed with the car I would like to find out more about its history and am hoping some Forum members can help.

The car was imported into Australia back in 1998 and I have it's history since then but nothing about its history in the USA.

According to the Data plate the car was assembled at the Atlanta plant.

It still has a registration sticker on the windshield from North Carolina - N. C. Division of Motor Vehicles with an expiry date of June 1998.

There is also a Buick Club of America decal on the windshield.

These clues suggest the previous owner was a member of the BCA living in North Carolina, possibly a member of the North Carolina BCA Chapter.

I don't have access to registers that far back. Does anyone remember a 1955 Super Convertible model 56C in the North Carolina Chapter in the mid 1990's or have access to the register for that time to check for me.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Hi Stuart

I have those issues and the registry, I will take a look and see what I can find. I also have a 55 Super convertible and they are one rare car, not many produced and not many survived.

Steve

Steve,

Just turned up some more paperwork indicating the car was in Australia by January 1998 so if advertised in the Bugle it would be in 1997 ( and the roster in 1997 )

From the 1997 BCA Roster:

John Button BCA 30615 Summerfield, North Carolina 1955 56C

Mr. Button wasn't listed in the BCA 1999 Roster.

Thanks Jim, that's narrowing things down. Being a member of the BCA Mr Button may well have advertised the car in the Bugle, probably in the later part of 1997.

Stuart

Here are a couple of shots of my 55 Super Convertible, hope to have it finished by next year. We have been working on it off and on for a long time. It is a nut & bolt frame off restoration and should be a very very nice car once finished.

Steve

post-30926-143142575195_thumb.jpg

post-30926-14314257511_thumb.jpg

post-30926-143142575131_thumb.jpg

post-30926-143142575151_thumb.jpg

post-30926-143142575173_thumb.jpg

Hi Stewart

Found the car in the Dec 1997 Bugle.

Here is a picture. Look at that price, wow!!!

Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]254350[/ATTACH]

Thanks Steve, that's great - that's a beer I owe you if I get back over your way!

Definitely the same car and when advertised for sale at a Bonhams Auction in Melbourne back in 2011 sales flyer claimed a motor and dynaflow rebuild had been done by a previous owner. Since 1998 the red trim has been replaced with very nice red/white leather trim in the original style.

The advert claims " low mileage " - odometer still only shows 50727 so its got me wondering if that is the actual mileage, what a bonus that would be.

Love the work you are doing on your 1955 56C, let me know if there is anything you need checking from mine although it looks like you are well on top of the restoration.