1953 Buick Dynaflow with no Reverse!

Guest Coach101

Guest Coach101

Hey folks, I have a 1953 Buick Roadmaster that will not go into reverse. It was having trouble locking into Park. I found that the linkage was bent. As part of the service, I drained the fluid, dropped the pan and cleaned it and the screen. I did not drain the torque converter but I did let the transmission drip into a pan for a week or so, flipping the shift lever from time to time to release more fluid from the valve. I replaced the pan and fluid and set the linkage as per the manual. I now have Park, Drive and Low only. I disconnected the linkage, started the car on the lift and shifted it from underneath the car while running. It would not go into reverse at any position I put it in. I'm baffle! Please Help.

Thanks

Guest Coach101

The shift lever moves but the transmission does not go into reverse. I know it's not an adjustment issue because I put the care on the lift with the engine running and shifted it by hand. No reverse!

Your shop manual should have detailed instructions on troubleshooting and of course repairing. My 55 manual mentions band out of adjustment, strut broken or out of place, and reverse servo inoperative. There should be similar in your shop manual.

When, after finishing the oil replacement, and putting the car in reverse for the first time, what there any type of klunk noise? IF so chances are the reverse strut dropped out of position. If you look at your diagrams in the manual you may see that there is a chance of resetting the strut without disassembly of the trans. I never tried this myself so I can't say it's definitely possible.

Guest Coach101

This thing is killing me! The 1953 manual says very little. Plus the 1953 manual refers to the 1952 manual which is an older version with two pumps and staters. It did feel as if nothing was shifting when I moved it back to where reverse should be. I'm waiting for a new pan gasket to come. Also I'm going to drive it for a few miles when the weather clears to see if it's some kind of air lock with the fluid. If not I'm going to have to drop the pan and the servo and see if anything jumps out at me. Thanks for the suggestions.