1929 Hudson Oil Level

JRA

Hello Everyone, I just bought an 1929 Hudson and I do not know to check oil level. The engine does not have a dip stick, but a sort of glass tube. This tube seems to be empty. How does it work? Thanks, JRA

Welcome to the ownership of a Great car. 1929 is the first year for Hudson for an electric oil level indicator. You activate it buy pushing the button on the bottom of the instrument cluster. When depressed, it turns your fuel level gauge into an oil level gauge.( It may not work check the wires behind the gauge ). All the gauge will read is empty or full.

I do not rely on the gauge at all. I have a 3/8 wooden dowel that I use as a dip stick that I keep in the car. When inserted into the OIL FILL hole, It should read oil at 2.25 inches from the bottom of the dowel. When the pan and troughs are properly full. Use a good multi grade oil, 15-40 is what I use on all the old cars.

What body style is your hudson? We love pictures on this sit!

Someone must have installed a sight glass. When the oil is full you should see it in the glass tube. Drain the crankcase, fill to the correct level, and make a note of how much oil is in the glass. Then you can tell at a glance if you have enough oil. Suggest you also get a dip stick as paul did.

Thanks Paul and Rusty. It is a Standard Sedan, with wooden spoke wheels, dual sidemaount and trunk. I am enjoyng a lot this car. I am wondering if it is going to be faster than my 1929 Chrysler 75...

See pictures attached. Y

ou can see the glass tube for oil level indication. It seems to be original. Once it is cracked, how can I replace it? Where can I find such glass tube, is it a special type? Is there any special seals at its ends?

Thanks, JRA

1928 Chevrolet National, touring

1929 Dodge-Brothers Six, brougham

1929 Hudson Super Six, standard sedan

1929 Chrysler 75, roadster

1951 Plymouth Cranbrook, four door sedan

1954 Willys-Overland Jeep, CJ3B

post-76672-143142557004_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143142556948_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143142556977_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143142556948_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143142556977_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143142557004_thumb.jpg

It is too high to be an oil level sight glass. Does oil pass through it when the engine is running? It might be a visible signal that the oil is circulating. If not that, then I don't know what it is for.

Is it possible there was a rod in there with a float at the bottom, to indicate oil level?

The Hudson Super Six was considered a fast car in its day. So was the Chrysler, its high compression engine was state of the art. Hudson won many races in the US, while the Chrysler was one of the first American cars to finish in the money at the LeMans 24 hour race, and in other races in Europe.

If both cars were in tip top shape it would be an interesting race. The Chrysler 75 was supposed to have a 75 MPH top speed but they were usually a little faster, between 75 and 80. I don't know what a Hudson would do but they went very well. They never tell what body style but I would say they tested the roadster. A sedan would be considerably slower than a roadster.

If I had to rank your cars by speed I would put the 51 Plymouth first, then the Chrysler roadster, then the Hudson sedan, then Dodge, with the Chev and Jeep fighting it out for last place.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

There should be a float in the oil pan with a thin rod attached to it. At the top of the rod there should be a small ball attached to the other end of the rod. This ball moves inside of the tube and indicates the oil level. There should be a plate on the side of the block behind the tube with marks to indicate oil levels.

Thanks Zeke. Do you know where I can buy such glass, once mine is cracked? And how can I replace it? How can we seal the ends of such glass tube? Thanks, JRA

JRA

You can get the glass tub from a Medical supply company and have a glass shop cut it to length for you.

Cut your own washers from rubber or felt, they go on the top. Do not over tighten the large screw. It sure looks like to me that your float is in the tube. I think I can see the ball.

Remove the large screw retainer on the top of the casting, and look down the glass and see if you can see the top ball on the float. If it is in there, try to lift it out. Once it is out, inspect the float and clean it.

They stick all the time inside the tube that goes in to the pan and are not that reliable in my opinion. I have many super sixes and never look at the float, I use my own dipstick as described in my first post.

PS. A 29 hudson, in good order, will blow the doors of your Chrysler. Get ready to have a big smile on your face.

I think I will try the wooden stick idea to measure the oil level.

Paul, just to confirm, considering a stick that goes inside the oil fill hole, is the 2.25 inches mark FULL? What would be the MINIMUM mark? Thanks JRA