Hand crank

Mike is correct - There is no handle. The outer end has the square. The end that engages the ratchet nut has a round disk which fits into the crank hole and acts to stabilize it when cranking.

• 2 weeks later...
The end with 1/2 inch square is the handle. The shoulder on the other end helps to keep the crank end centered when engaged for cranking. It looks be the correct tool for your car.

OK, I don't get it. The 1/2 square end seems to fit in the hole uner the radiator which turns 'something'. The other end is way to big to fit in the 1/2 square hole. Someone posted something about removing the crank hole cover but it turns and turns and does not come off....it turns both directions and does not appear to be coming off. What am I missing?!

You REALLY need to buy a manual, 90% of your answers are in the Book of Information. The disc you are trying to remove exposes where the OTHER end of the hand crank turns over the engine to hand start it. Apparently the threads are stripped, which is common. I don't know what year you are working on but later year DB's, at least 1924, HAD a metal sleeve that acts as a handle.

You REALLY need to buy a manual, 90% of your answers are in the Book of Information. The disc you are trying to remove exposes where the OTHER end of the hand crank turns over the engine to hand start it. Apparently the threads are stripped, which is common. I don't know what year you are working on but later year DB's, at least 1924, HAD a metal sleeve that acts as a handle.

Fine, I'll buy the book and quit posting dumb questions. I bought the 1914-1927 Mechanics Instruction Mnual but there is nothing in there about the hand crank. Guess I will buy the Book of Knowledge and figure it out from books not from this website. Or maybe I will just figure it out on my own..

No questions are dumb. That's how you learn. The crank hole cover should come off. Try to pry it with a thin paint scraper while unscrewing it. Once off the end of the crank with the ratchet will go in and engage the nut on the end of the crankshaft. It turns in a clockwise motion. Good luck. Jay

No questions are dumb. That's how you learn. The crank hole cover should come off. Try to pry it with a thin paint scraper while unscrewing it. Once off the end of the crank with the ratchet will go in and engage the nut on the end of the crankshaft. It turns in a clockwise motion. Good luck. Jay

Thanks Jay. I will try your suggestion in the morning.

Ok, ok, I couldn't wait! I went out to my shop and tried your suggestion and it worked! When I turned the crank it was obvious there is some thing more than a cap that was turning. I took a large screwdriver and applied outward pressure while backing out the cap as you suggested and suddenly it broke loose and the cap came right off! Very exciting! I put the other end in and actually turned the engine over! Very cool! Thanks again for the tip!

Fine, I'll buy the book and quit posting dumb questions. I bought the 1914-1927 Mechanics Instruction Mnual but there is nothing in there about the hand crank. Guess I will buy the Book of Knowledge and figure it out from books not from this website. Or maybe I will just figure it out on my own..

Your questions are not dumb. They show a lot of enthusiasm about your new toy. The manual you have is a good general repair manual, covers many years. The Book of Information is the owner's manual specifically for your year of car. It will explain more then any new car owner's manual. When you ask the question about what the crank is none of the answers told you HOW to hand start your car WITHOUT breaking your thumb. Slow down and do some research, have fun without getting hurt or hurting the car.

I have found 3 iTunes videos on how to start using the crank but I thank you for the concern. I understand the mechanics and kickback of manual starting and the importance of cranking with your left hand....or at least I think I do. If not, I will break my arm...not at being concern of mine.

Please understand I am still at the stage of sitting in my shop in the front seat and honking the horn and listening to the ooooghaaa horn.

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)