Buick Book wanted

buicknewbee

I have been doing a little homework here lately on the early Buick autos from say 1920ish to 1960, mostly 1925 - 1942 though. I never realized there were so many different models during the same years. There is so much information that I'm finding all over the place here and there on the web. I'm doing some homework to help me in possibly buying another Buick in time, but again the info is all over jumping from one year to ten years later and back again. Some of these body styles I didn't even know existed! Is there a book that may have this info on a year to year basis? If so I'd like to know the title, or if anyone has one of these books they aren't using anymore I'd like to purchase it.

Thanks,

Darren

I have been doing a little homework here lately on the early Buick autos from say 1920ish to 1960, mostly 1925 - 1942 though. I never realized there were so many different models during the same years. There is so much information that I'm finding all over the place here and there on the web. I'm doing some homework to help me in possibly buying another Buick in time, but again the info is all over jumping from one year to ten years later and back again. Some of these body styles I didn't even know existed! Is there a book that may have this info on a year to year basis? If so I'd like to know the title, or if anyone has one of these books they aren't using anymore I'd like to purchase it.

Thanks,

Darren

There are 3 I use, all have the information you are seeking, and more.

THE BUICK - A COMPLETE HISTORY by Dunham and Gustin

SEVENTY YEARS OF BUICK by George H. Dammann

STANDARD CATALOG OF BUICK

These are often found on ebay or can be sourced through companies like AMAZON

Hi Darren,

The one I refer to and has some great information and photos is

"Seventy Years of Buick" by George H. Dammann

Do a Google search and you will find it. I know there are regularly ones on ebay for sale.

Prices can vary, they were were expensive when new, but a good condition hardcover version may be anywhere from $40-$70 but worth it.

There are a couple of other books that have been printed (someone else may help with the names) that cover early and more particular later years but the above one is my favourite.

(edited after Posting)

(Looks like Stuart was typing the same time as me:) .......same recommendation though as well as some other good ones)

Edited by buick840 (see edit history)

This is my top three, though I probably look at the complete history the least.

There are 3 I use, all have the information you are seeking, and more.

THE BUICK - A COMPLETE HISTORY by Dunham and Gustin

SEVENTY YEARS OF BUICK by George H. Dammann

STANDARD CATALOG OF BUICK

These are often found on ebay or can be sourced through companies like AMAZON

You can do an Ebay search for "crestline book". Most marques are covered with complete histories. Classic Motorbooks used to sell them and send out quarterly sale flyers. I think I have about 15 of them.

Once you make a list of the titles you want try www.addall.com to find some good deals.

Another good source is small independent used book stores. I have one near me and when an old car guy kicks off their collections show up. Those are real good deals.

Bernie

A thought on these lifetime collections of books; I thought it would be great to donate them to a public library. I read my first car books there an one of the actual books is sitting about 4 feet away from me now.

To my disappointment, I found out most donations that are not current novels or NYT Best Sellers, go into the fund raiser sales at 50 cents to a dollar each and $2 for a shopping bag full on the last day.

Just looking around the shelves in this room makes me glad I kept them. Maybe I will pull down Elbert's Duesenberg book and read it again this weekend.

Bernie

I've thought about the same thing. If I had to get rid of my motoring library, I'd try to find someone local that might make good use of it, like an auto shop teacher. The guy who had his students come to the Forum to ask questions about specific cars would probably make good use of a set of AQ. Or, I'd find a charity that raises money selling stuf on eBay. Doesn't the AACA library do that? Fortunately, since I seem to be buying books at a rate of about 3 for each on I read, disposing of the collection is down the road a bit.

To my disappointment, I found out most donations that are not current novels or NYT Best Sellers, go into the fund raiser sales at 50 cents to a dollar each and $2 for a shopping bag full on the last day.

Bernie