UNDERCOATING THE TRUNK

Gwood

My 65 mustang's trunk was painted the same color as the outside of the car. If I undercoat the trunk or use an epoxy type paint to stop surface rust will that effect the value of the vehicle.

Any input would be great,

Thanks, Glenn

Guest AlCapone

Is it a fine point car to begin with ? If not just do what's necessary to preserve your investment by fighting rust ! If it was my car I would remove the rust to the best of my ability first. When the rust is gone undercoat it ! Wayne

The inside of the trunk area was originally body color. The gas tank was not yet installed when the trunks were painted, so they are natural metal (not painted). The bolts that attached the deck lid were also body color, as the deck lids were attached at the time the cars were painted.

If you are not concerned with correctness on this car, you can obviously paint it any color you like. If it were undercoated, I would think people would suspect you were "hiding" something.

You could use an epoxy primer, and paint body color over that.

The vast majority of early Mustangs at even local shows stick with the original configuration.....trunk painted exterior color.

Kevin

Do not use undercoating! It will trap moisture and rust, and make it rust worse. Also gum up anything you put in the trunk.

If there is rust, clean it off with a wire brush in a drill then paint with POR15 or rust paint. If you use rust paint it will need at least 2 coats for full coverage. If you want it to match your car in color, you can go over it with a coat of auto enamel. Any auto paint store can mix paint to match your car.

Guest omiotek

Definatrly do not use undercoat..... I have found if you want a durable textured finish a fine Bedliner applied in light coats will give best results. It gets nice and hard too.

Will it affect the value? Sure because it's not 100% correct. My opinion is it's your car and do as you please with it. A car is only worth what a buyer will spend and if this isn't a picture perfect resto then you already hurt the value.

Guest AlCapone
Do not use undercoating! It will trap moisture and rust, and make it rust worse. Also gum up anything you put in the trunk.

If there is rust, clean it off with a wire brush in a drill then paint with POR15 or rust paint. If you use rust paint it will need at least 2 coats for full coverage. If you want it to match your car in color, you can go over it with a coat of auto enamel. Any auto paint store can mix paint to match your car.

I do not believe that modern day undercoat traps moisture and make it rust. If you don't remove the rust you are asking for trouble no matter what coating you apply. It also is not gummy. In years gone by that may well have been the case but not now. Modern technology has removed us from those stone ages. Go to your local Ziebart franchise and you will be amazed at the developments over that last few years. 1960's maybe, 2014 not so !

Wayne

Guest omiotek

Yes some undercoats get hard but the common person referring to undercoat is refering to rubberized undercoat which does not get hard. The zeibart stuff I'm not sold on personally. Brake clean will take it right off. Grant it he's saying it's for trunk use so it should be fine.

Also as it was stated any rust needs to be removed or it will show itself sooner or later

Guest AlCapone

I honestly did not think that a man with a classic Mustang would use a rattle can undercoat. The new Ziebart is space age ! Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I am redoing a '42 Ford. It has rust, surface rust, in many places that are nearly impossible to get to. I am going to use Eastwood's rust convertor topped by their rust encapslator. I think you would best be served by dropping the fuel tank and going this route. Just my 2 cents.

I am redoing a '42 Ford. It has rust, surface rust, in many places that are nearly impossible to get to. I am going to use Eastwood's rust convertor topped by their rust encapslator. I think you would best be served by dropping the fuel tank and going this route. Just my 2 cents.

Rust converters, encapsulators are just temporary fixes. The rust will make it's appearance again at some time. Maybe it will last six months or six years if you are lucky. Your results will depend on the effort that you make.

The discussion on undercoating is good, Their seems to be a underlining theme thou, ( getting the rust off ). I've used wire brushes in the past, with not much luck. Would a sandblaster or sander work better?

Guest omiotek

only way to truly rid of rust is to cut it out and sandblast it and get primer on it right away... in theory if there is the slightest bit of any rust left it will start all over. rust converters are just a band aid.

According to Eastwood the rust convertor converts the rusted metal back to useable steel. The rust encapsulator has an epoxy element to it that seals the treated metal away from oxygen. I have used other rust convertors with good results by top coating them with epoxy paints, so I am going to give this a try since it will be inside the car away from the elements. Plus, you can't always cut away all the "rusty" metal, and griding it all away can leave you with very thin metal.