Oil filter reference

Eric W

Guest shadetree77

I'd like to see that but when I open the page the images don't show up. Just the text. Tried it in Firefox and Explorer. Hmmmmm....

I tried to find that "compatability view" option on my Explorer, but couldn't find it. Anyway, reading the text was interesting though. I have a '50, but the remote filter unit I have does have the referenced drain plug that was supposedly eliminated in 1950. I also have a separate filter body as a spare. I'll have to take a look at that one to see if it has a drain plug or not; I do know that my spare has the blue body with orange lid. The one currently on my car was painted turqoise at some point but could use a good cleaning and repainting anyway. That drain certainly makes the oil change easy though, I had heard that others typically would use a baster to remove the old oil from the filter unit.

I tried to find that "compatability view" option on my Explorer, but couldn't find it. Anyway, reading the text was interesting though. I have a '50, but the remote filter unit I have does have the referenced drain plug that was supposedly eliminated in 1950. I also have a separate filter body as a spare. I'll have to take a look at that one to see if it has a drain plug or not; I do know that my spare has the blue body with orange lid. The one currently on my car was painted turqoise at some point but could use a good cleaning and repainting anyway. That drain certainly makes the oil change easy though, I had heard that others typically would use a baster to remove the old oil from the filter unit.

Another way to see the pics: http://ddautoparts.home.mindspring.com/oilfilter_files/ click on the image number that matches the one referenced in the article.

Tank, as always, the man with the plan! Yup, mine's definitely the style with the drain plug. Pretty interesting. Parts Manual calls for a P-10 filter housing for 46-49 40 & 50 series and then all 50-52. So I guess all these were black with yellow then?

Though my Special is clearly a '50, I've found some earlier non-'50 components here or there on it or at least with the car. For ex., I believe in '50 the battery hold down changed to just a rectangle that sat on top of the battery with the bolts that passed down thru it, whereas in '49, they were using the same rectangle shape but it's mated to a big rectangular heat shield or something on down the side of it...That's the one that I have with my car. However, dash switch set-up is of the late '50 variant. Probably factories and dealers used whatever they had remaining before switching over to the new. It does however make it tricky sometimes when putting it back together, and the book says or shows one thing, and you're looking at something totally different in your hand! LOL

Still figuring out the best to attach my new weatherstripping, and of course poor New England weather. Without a garage, your SOL until the weather changes. I think I've got to bite the bullet and pull the door pins out of the hinges, or remove from the hinges entirely. Front A-pillar weatherstrip will also def. requiring pulling quarter panels as well. The other thing I was looking at was possibly being able to access front edge of front door hinge area with quarter panels off. This may alleviate the removal of front doors at least. Would releasing the check link allow the front and/or rear doors to swing out enough that I don't have to remove doors from hinges? Would have to make sure to watch for binding with qtr. panels.