'48 Super / Roadmaster Dynaflow

Guest 42buickman

Guest 42buickman

I have a friend who just purchased a '48 Super. He doesn't like the standard transmission, and wants to switch to Dynaflow. I have a '48 Roadmaster parts car with Dynaflow, and he wants to switch to Dynaflow. Is the bellhousing, transmission and crankshaft bolt pattern the same on Super and Roadmaster ? What problems will he have doing this swap ? I'm supposing that the steering column would be longer on the RM, but I don't see a problem with that, just change the outer tube etc. Comments please, thanks, Paul

It would be better to find a way for your friend to test drive a 48 Super Dynaflow. Since the car is a new purchase, it might not be the Dynaflow that they don't like. When I think of things That a person wouldn't like and comparing it with driving very good Buick Supers, it is hard to fault them in smoothness and adequate performance.

Maybe your friend shifts too often or expected a different experience.

What if you go through the work and they still don't like the car?

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest 42buickman
X2 for Bernies suggestion. And if he really wants the dynaflow, maybe it's just easier to find someone who will swap car for car.

Am I missing something here, I always thought that Roadmaster was the only one in '48 that had the dynaflow. I wasn't aware that Super had it too. As far as the crankshaft is concerned, I also thought you could go from standard trans to automatic, but not vice versa. I'm concerned about the bolt pattern of super vs roadmaster trans and crankshaft. Thanks, Paul