1950 New York License Plate(s)

Guest 1987

Howdy,

I have a 1950 Chevy, and the old owner just brought me a single 1950 plate. (removed some content - webmaster)

That being said, were there 2 plates in 1950? cuase he only brought 1. The form on the DMV website says its for collector/show use only. I have collector insurance, but I am allowed to drive the car to shows, hobbyist places like the local diner, drive in movie theaters... and occasional personal use such as a short day at work or church, or our lovely lake ontario beach to swim in 50 degree water in august.

Can i get away with using just one 1950 NY plate, or do I need to somehow find a set? and will I get hassled driving the car around?

Edited by Peter Gariepy
not auto related. (see edit history)

I don't know if they did or not. I will tell ya this, I never put two on a car anyway. The modern plate on my '50 is just in the back, and my 2010 Camry has just one and the police leave me alone. But you are correct... I don't think I can register just one. That's why I gotta find out if there was originally 2

Go to the NY state DMV license plate regulations on the internet. They say on their web-site that two are required. Trailers and motorcycles are the exception. No glass or plastic can cover your plates. Just because they (police) leave you alone does not mean its acceptable or legal. Do the research, call them, its free.

Don't ask for legal advise here, that is risky also.

Very useful thanks! Now I wonder if my hagerty policy is "historical."

Also, as for not using the front plate... Ny is thinking of going back to single (it's in legislation)

I don't know I just can't stand the front plate on my everyday car. I actually would like two of the NY50 plates. Backwards, isn't it?

Either way, I only have one from the PO. That post seems pretty convincing that it was a one plate year. Now I gotta figure out if my policy meets NY requirements

Thanks for all this help! And AJ your car is quite stunning.

I looked at my Hagarty policy and nothing about it indicateds it's historical. The documents outlining the coverage say "classic car policy" so I guess my next step is calling havarty and finding out. Or maybe I'll just go to the DMV and hope for the best. Their website says its a yearly registration if you have antique plates... Hopefully that doesn't mean more money.

Edited by 1987 (see edit history)

1987-- New York in 1950 was a one plate year (rear only). Yellow numbers/black background,NY-50 across top. There is an insurance card required which must be marked "historical". My insurance company (Grundy) furnishes these with each renewal. Our DMV allows a little latitude like on repaint for the photo. One new clerk was flexing her authority, not knowing we elected her boss. A phone call got that straightened out. Another clerk rejected a pair of my repainted plates. I took them home smeared a little dish detergent on them, sprinkled some shop floor sweepings on them, re-took the photo no problem, sailed thru. I never tell them what they had to do, always asked what I had to do. My plates are all YOM so $28.75 yearly. Good luck--Bob

Thanks guys! I appreciate all this! I'm excited to get this done.

Would it make sense to just being a photocopy of my registration, the plate, and an insurance ID card to the DMV? Or does I have to be mailed?

I already registered it with regular plantes, and there is no title cause she is so old. There are DMVs a bit more into the country I can try to avoid madness. Thanks all!!

I will do it that way. So long as I can drive it in the interim. Of course, after wednesdays blizzard, it might be a while.

Its on my To Do pile!

Can someone explain in a few sentences what the idea of an oil bath air cleaner is? can any modern K&N style filter that fits replace one?

oil bath! the air rushes in and must make a full 180 at the surface of the oil in the reservoir. as it turns the dirt particles in the air are too heavy to turn as fast as the air that is carrying them, and they end up smacking into the oil surface where they are trapped. the clean air goes on it's way to the engine. paper is more convenient, not better. use he cheapest oil, even non-detergent, and clean it once or twice a year and your engine will thank you. there are ways to convert your oil bath cleaner to accept a modern paper filter, depends on the car. doing that retains the original look. capt den

That is completely awesome! so the filter element looking thing in there... that looks beat. I should probly replace that, right?