What happened to Gen'l Pershing's '16 Dodge?

If you are reading this you know that General Pershing employed a convoy of either 3 or 6 (depending on the source) 1916 Dodge 4 cyl. touring cars to pursue Poncho Villa in Mexico. This was the first military use of a car! Several sources say that "Black Jack" himself always rode in an enclosed car. In 1955 that '16 Dodge touring with Rex Top "winter equipment" which made it appear to be an enclosed sedan was found in France and purchased by Daniel Parker, son of the founder of Parker Pen and taken to his farm in Janesville, WI. The attached photo shows it arriving at the port of New York by boat. It then did a little touring around the country including being displayed in Corpus Christi, Texas during 1955 according to an article in their archives.

Then what happened to the car? Was it kept by Parker in Wisconsin until his death and if so, what then?

Where is General Black Jack Pershing's 1916 Dodge?

post-57494-143142340067_thumb.jpg

Well, of course the top is removable so it could have been lost or they have it in storage. But one would think the car should be presented as Pershing used it.

I did find the attached pic which says it is of him in an open touring and that this is the car he called "Daisy" but it could very well have been one of the other touring cars with the group.

post-57494-14314234026_thumb.jpg

I've read that Pershing had about a '14 Buick and it didn't suit him. That then could well be the Buick I attached above and as so often happens, the photo is mislabeled in text where I found it. Thanks for the positive ID of the Buick.

He was assigned a '15 Dodge touring by the Army when he commanded the 8th Brigade at Camp Bliss in El Paso, TX. That serial number- documented '15 Dodge car is today privately owned in Mountain View, Arkansas. This was Pershing's first experience with Dodge and why he requested the group of '16 Dodges for the Mexico campaign. Attached pic is that 1915 Dodge.

There is a small museum at Fort Bliss called Pershing House. Within it there is a display of a '16 Dodge touring "like" the one's Pershing used.

post-57494-143142340366_thumb.jpg

Here's an article saying it's at West Point....doesn't show the Rex top though www.texaspowerwagon.com/military.htm

I have seen the West Point Dodge said to be Pershing's 1916 but it is NOT a 16 as it has the splash shield under the radiator making it at best a 1917. This was fully covered in DBC member John Bittance who wrote the most complete story on DBs in WW 1. It was published in both the DB club News and Army Motors about 4-5 years ago

bob

• Like 1