65 Dual Quad Riviera for sale in AL - $4,800 - Not Mine

cjp69

Guest Marcisdave

Yeah.....looks like quite a place to go picking. Car was probably a stunner when it was new. Looks to be a late 50s Chrysler or Imperial 4 dr behind it.

OK Riviera People: Unless the entire underneath is rotted out, including the frame and every body panel is horrible and the motor is stuck, and even then...... this is far from a parts car. If I had this car in my driveway I could have it looking dramatically better in about an hour. Give me an entire day and you all wouldn't recognize it.

Pictures on the internet reveal only so much and are not to be relied on. Not to say this looks pristine by any means but there are so many things that need to be taken into consideration. Seeing it in the flesh is the way to go. Actually, the price isn't that too far out of whack either. Mitch

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1

Looks like it is all there.

Appears to be a perfect candidate for a full restoration.

I have seen cars in far worse condition sell for far more.

I agree with the previous poster, that given a small investment of time, that car, particularly the engine bay and interior would respond very well to some very basic cleaning.

Hope someone rescues it, even if to just clean and paint it.

Offer about $ 2500 and you might just have a low cost project for a very decent price, for well below the $4800 asking price.

The ad says that floor and trunk pans need to be replaced. Given Alabama's very humid environment I wouldn't be surprised if my foot went through the floor. I also doubt that the engine runs for even turns over. I have no doubt it could be looking better in an hour or a day, but it probably won't be running without many thousands of dollars invested, and that's just 'running'. To make it roadworthy and safe would be an additional significant cost. At that point you're either all the way in for a full restoration, or it is a parts car.

Don't misunderstand me - I would love to see the car saved and restored to its original glory. Its just that the middle-ground for this car (i.e. A weekend driver that can be improved incrementally as time and money allow) is not in the cards.

If one can negotiate the price down - great. And then there's always the free explorer's hat in the back seat. :)

Looks like it is all there.

Offer about $ 2500 and you might just have a low cost project for a very decent price, .

If you could get it for the $2500, you could part it out and make a tidy profit. A complete 2x4 setup- not just the carbs and manifold - including the distributor, rear compressor bracket, fuel lines, linkage, kickdown switch and bracket, air cleaner, etc alone would get you your money back plus some. Then there's the 3.23 posi, the BS transmission, and all of the Gran Sport badging. Plus everything else that could be salvaged.

I'm into restoring old Schwinn bicycles too. Some guys buy complete older bicycles and part them out. One camp is furious because an old bike is parted out instead of restored. The other camp says that sacrificing one bicycle might help preserve 6 or 7 others which are missing certain parts.

Buy it and restore it, or buy it and help with the restoration of some other Gran Sports. It's a flip of the coin.

I got started in the hobby in 1959. The golden advice at the time was "Don't waste your money on anything but an open car." In the '60's I saw sedans stripped to complete convertibles or create stashes of spare parts. I am still a strong believer in differentiating between lesser and senior models. Senior sedans really took a hit back then.

Cars I saw parted were Packards, Cords, Pierce-Arrows, Cadillacs, Jaguars in sedan version that are high end stuff today. It is an adapting hobby. In 1978 I bought (and overpaid for) a nice '64 Riviera that was 15 years old. Its 50 this year. In 2011 I bought a real clean '94 Impala SS that was 15 years old. Right now I am looking for one more "keeper" and project being around another 50 years. I'm pretty sure it is going to be real nice, out of the mainstream, and undervalued.

There is always a philosophy of wisdom out there driving selection of purchases. I guess, if a person is smart enough to have the discretionary money to buy a collector choosing what they like will be more important than conforming to the herd.

I have been looking at 200-ish black Lincoln Town Cars in the Cartier edition and wondering how much I'd like it in 2030.

Bernie

Guys, this car does not appear to be a GS. It looks to either be one of the few cars sold with the 425 DQ motor in non GS trim, or it is a regular car with a 2x4 setup. There are not enough pictures or information to truly determine what it is. We are just assuming it has the correct carbs as well.

Wow, I'm not nearly as pickey. I would restore this in a minute if I had the $ to buy it. Good start on a car that should be worth it when finished. The Riv I have needs floors and complete interior anyway so if it was a factory 2x4 425 I'd be stoked. Who knows what other options are visable. Vents, headlamp dimmer, etc. Needs work no doubt, but a parts car? Should be saved.