1906 Cadillac modelK

playswithbrass

I have recently purchsed a 1906 Model K cadillac roadster. On the side is Cadillac 1905 Museum of Transportation Princeton Mass which was owned by Salvator Galagino pre 1940 I am looking for photos and history for this car. Did it go to Zimmermans in PA ? It was supposedly displayed in a NewYork hotel lobby at one time. At some time it was owned by Jack Skaff in MI I know its ownership and location since 1980. Can anyone provide more details ?

post-86990-143142333671_thumb.jpg

post-86990-143142333674_thumb.jpg

I looked at the inventory of cars on the link trimacar provided. This was quite a collection. I would take the 1900 De Dion Bouton, two 1902 Pierces, 1906 Peerless, 1909 Simplex, and the 1929 Duesenberg, if they hadn't had the auction 40 years ago.

I've never heard of this museum in Massachusetts before. Apparently the founder started buying up these cars in the 20s or 30s. The early Cadillacs listed were: 1907, 1905, 1906, 1902, 1915, and two 1910s.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest cben09

There were 3 or 4,,, 1 cyl Caddys just inside the front door on the right,,,

Al had driven one up MtWashington,,,in a summer snow storm,,just after

the war

Many of these cars were lo milage examples,,,still with all white tyres,,

one such was a Pierce,,'Great Arrow',,,,60Hp,,contrast to the Caddys,,

Cheers,,Ben

thanks for all the interest. I am still hoping for a photo of my car in the museum. I have also been digging around on Google and now know that Gene Zimmerman in Harrisburg PA bought everything from the Princeton museum after Alfred Garganigos death Are there any photos of the displays at his hotel? Any records of when his collection was disbanded ?

Guest cben09

The cars were Al's,,,,,BUT a few were Sulleys

I have seen a booklet w/check or X marked against,,,

Those were Sulleys cars,,

Cheers,,Ben

Ben is that booklet still around? do you have any pictures of the Cadillacs,trying to figure out what year it went into the museum.Was it

a car that was to be scrapped and they ended up saving it.I know that Albert/Salvator was interested in the rapid body style changes and this

prompted him to start the museum and with the scrap metal business he would have a captive supply in the early days

Dear Playswithbrass,

Congratulations on the purchase of your "new" Cadillac. I've always loved the styling of those '06 tulip bodies. Best of luck and I hope you can secure the information you seek. The HCCA is a good place to start.

Rog

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rory

I didn't realize this was yours until today.

Congratulations!

How about some photos and a write-up for the website? Sounds like it has a fascinating history.

Ian

Thanks Ian Not quite at that point! But after 2 wks of digging we now know that the car was originally shipped to Alvan Fuller in Boston

Mass A man worth Googling, apparently had the most successful dealership anywhere in the 1920's. Not surprising because by the build sheets we got from GM Heritage Center he clearly was custom ordering in 1906. It was ordered without a top, and was dark blue with silver striping. So it never moved far to go to Princeton, Mass in the 1930s. We know that Gene Zimmerman bought out that museum "lock, stock and barrel " and Automobilorama was deemed by the State Tax authorities to not be commercially viable !! There is a wonderful write up on that museums opening in Antique Automobile, Vol 31 No 3. But between them, those two museums would have preserved some fabulous cars for todays collectors. Jack Skaff bought various cars out of that collection and James Crannie bought from him and now we have the Cadillac. But still no earlier photos !!

Zimmerman bought most of the museum,,Alberts cars,,,

He did not buy the cars that belonged to brother Sulley,,

Their sister insisted on her share,,thus forcing the sale

Cheers Ben

Zimmerman bought most of the museum,,Alberts cars,,,

He did not buy the cars that belonged to brother Sulley,,

Their sister insisted on her share,,thus forcing the sale

Cheers Ben

Thanks for the correction and I admit I do not know if it was Arts or Sullys I was quoting from a Milwaukee newspaper article by a man who tried for a long time to get the circus wagon in the collection for the circus museum in Baraboo WI He followed it for quite a while and eventually I think got it from Gene Zimmerman