Chicago Area Restoration Shop?

superior1980

Hello All!

Just a couple weeks ago I purchased my first pre-war car, a 1942 Packard ambulance. It was a California car its whole life, so there is no rot and everything looks to be there, but it does need a complete restoration. It looks like it was parked in the desert 30 years ago and forgotten about. From what I've read, it appears that only 10-12 of these were built in the first place, and until mine was discovered last year, none were known to have survived. So, there is no shopping around for a better one. Anyway, the car's new home is in north suburban Chicago, and I am wondering if anyone can recommend a Chicago area restoration shop. I am aware of Old Coach Works in Yorkville, Illinois, but I've also heard mixed things about them. So, any suggestions? I appreciate your time!

With such an unusual project, I'd strongly encourage you to find someone familiar and qualified with similar vehicles no omatter whee they may be. The price of shipping a car to the 'right' restorer will be well worth it as opposed to finding someone local that may or may not be able to restore it correctly. Like you said, it is likely the last one.