Source for quality intake and exhaust valves --- 55 Buick 322

old-tank

Yes, John I need some --- machine shop called a said most stems are too short for the chosen head...not gonna recess the seats to fit the valves.

Part numbers:

Intake: Sealed Power V1268 or Dana 2113233

Exhaust: Sealed Power V1233 or Dana 2113234

Thanks,

The deeper the seats and valves, the longer the stem becomes in relation to the rocker arm and woud need to be "tipped" to maintain the center of lifter travel. If not tipped they will bottom the lifter. ????? Do I have this right or did I misunderstand the problem? If the valve margin is too thin, it wouldn't matter, throw them away.

Oh, I get it! You are not using OEM original valves. Or the seats are too thick.? John

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

John, the valves are used and have already been fitted to seat that had some recession, necessitating grinding the stem which is now too short.

GM part numbers: Group 0.296 1165514 intake

Group 0.297 1166463 exhaust

264 heads are the same...all 55 heads are the same and are interchangeable side to side.

Willie

Try thes guys: http://northwesternautosupply.com/

If you get Lenny, the one with the radio announcer voice tell him Bernie from New York recommended you.

I bought a single valve from them one time and made sure the parts runner actually went to the bin and put his hand on the valve, they even made me happy.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Try thes guys: http://northwesternautosupply.com/

If you get Lenny, the one with the radio announcer voice tell him Bernie from New York recommended you.

I bought a single valve from them one time and made sure the parts runner actually went to the bin and put his hand on the valve, they even made me happy.

Bernie

Good tip Bernie...........they are the guys that I finally located the Rod bearings I needed, after searching a large portion of USA.

Guest 53 Roady

Valves that are a little short can use "lash caps" . I have run sb chevy valves in my 57 Olds for over 20 years with lash caps (Milodon I think) shimmed with hacksaw blade disks to restore original geometry. The valves were short, the rockers were reground by Egge and I use Smith"s adjustable pushrods. The lash caps actually give the rockers a bigger footprint to push on. It took Master machinist Jim Shelton to figure this out, but I have been all over the US and some of Canada and up to 5500 rpm.

53 Roady

A valve is kind of like a piston ring . . . it doesn't know where it is as long as it fits. In the case of valves, the main "fit point" would be the diameter of the stem, with stem length and valve seat size then coming into play. As mentioned, lash caps can be used on the stem end, just as the valve seat size can be ground, provided things don't start out "too big". Adjustable pushrods can be "a pain" until you get the size/length spec near-correct and then match the correct valve lifter adjustment/pre-load setting.

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467