Headlight motor and relay

Guest Nick

Hi Guys, 1. Where can I get a right side headlight motor? 2. Where is the headlight relay? 3. Could the relay stop the right side motor from working? The motor worked a few months ago, car has been sitting for 2-3 months. 4. Can I repair the motor myself?:confused: Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Nick. Also Anyone want to buy my 90 Reatta Conv, runs real good but needs top and paint and some other stuff. Fair condition.

Nickcosmo112@Gmail.com if interested Thanks again

Thanks Matt but I am talking about the actual motor. I replaced the arm assembly with new one already. The motor does not seem to turn. Would a relay prevent the motor from turning or is the motor shot? Thanks Nick

If the left one works, both should work. Does it run and not rise? The link above will get you to the repair of the motor and yes, you can do so yourself. If this is a late production '90, there will be a relay wire tied to the harness at the front of the interior relay center on the drivers side of the console. The hi-lo switching relay is in the right side relay center on the passengers side of the console. Again, if one light works, both should activate unless there is a break in the motor wiring harness to the right side.

You answered while I was answering. Does the light itself turn on? I would imagine that it does, but that is a seperate system in any case. Can you manually raise the light? Check for power at the motor connection when trying to activate the lights.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)

Before you assume the motor is bad, have someone watch the black knob on the end of the headlight when you turn on the headlight switch. Most of the time the headlight motor is OK but the roller, bellcrank, or other item has failed.

If the motor does not turn, the next step is to jump 12V directly to the motor plug. You switch +/- on the plug to get the motor to turn different directions.

If the motor still does not run...... then you have bad wiring or the headlight controller is defective. The controller is located on the drivers side under the air cleaner box/relay box.

Here is a link to a very old procedure I wrote about the headlights http://www.reatta.net/headlight_repair.html

If you need a rebuilt headlight motor I can supply them plus the bellcrank. Contact me at (Barney@texas.net)

That is a OLD procedure.....it needs updated. The talk about a modified washer was a first attempt to salvage the factory bellcrank and they only lasted for about 10-12 openings. The bent metal bracket worked better.....the thicker you made it, the longer it lasted but as some point, you did not have threads left on the motor shaft.

About that time I started experimenting with what someone called "Barney Cranks"