Excited eBay seller 1939 Special convertible

39BuickEight

Ha !!

The wrong steering wheel and head lights on the wrong sides has to knock off $10,000 at least. :) :)

The bumper badge looks odd on the bumper as well.

And what's with that "Deluxe" badge ??????

At least they put the steering wheel on the right side. :) :)

Notwithstanding the nit picking, it looks like a nice beast and I'd be happy to hoon around in it.

(if I could just win lotto................)

Danny

At least it won't join the thousands and thousands of Ebay "Reserve Not Met" cars.

Actually, I think the car is more rare than it looks on the surface. Could that be the car they gave to the last Pony Express rider in Colorado when they transferred him to rural mail box delivery. I seem to remember rumors about that when the old guys were sitting around the cracker barrel.

Bernie

And the very non standard seat and interior. Just why did they put that trim inside the front doors? Front light pods are on the wrong side. Front side lights very incorrect. Bumpers from 1938 maybe. Sheetmetal on rear bumper is not correct. Top of the windscreen, looks a little odd: it may have started out a coupe. Is that sticker on the side from Argentina ?

Notwithstanding the nit picking, it looks like a nice beast and I'd be happy to cruise around in it.

[people in Sydney hoon around:- Gentlemen in Melbourne cruise sedately]

http://www.weiscomotorcars.com/detail.aspx?id=3737885&PrefID=68&.aspx

http://www.weiscomotorcars.com/detail.aspx?id=3737748&PrefID=68&.aspx

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

It also looks like the trim rings on the rims do not look right. And the photo with the interior shot looks like it is in backwards. Good luck on getting the asking price You would have to do a lot of work for nationals meets for it to be right.
Certainly not 1939 wheel trim rings. Looks to be high at the back. As a guess tyres are a bigger size (radials?)

Notwithstanding the nit picking, it looks like a nice beast and I'd be happy to cruise around in it.

[people in Sydney hoon around:- Gentlemen in Melbourne cruise sedately]

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Well, I had to check it out-

The term "hoon" has obtained a semi-official use in Australia, with police and Governments referring to legislation targeting anti-social driving activity as "anti-hoon laws". The term has even begun to appear in the titles of legislation, for example the Transport Legislation Amendment (Hoon Boating and Other Amendments) Act 2009 of the State of Victoria.

In the state of Victoria, hoon-related offences include burnouts, doughnuts, drag racing, repeated driving while disqualified and high-level speeding were added to Section 84C of the Road Safety Act 1986 in July 2006. Victoria Police have impounded an average of ten cars a day under the laws,[14] with over 5,000 vehicles confiscated and impounded two years after their introduction.[15] By contrast, the hoon boating laws of Victoria currently center on offences involving dangerous behaviour and do not yet reference offences relating to public order or amenity

I am just left wondering if there is a natural propensity for doing donuts counter-clockwise in Sydney. I'm seem to be a natural clockwise donut doer (DeWar?) but that's at the 43th parallel North.

Bernie

"Hoon" Not sure what the American equivalent term would be.

"Doughnuts" down here are generally done clockwise !! They are best done with the window down, your head out the window and loudly yahooing.

In Sydney, gentlemen that "cruise sedately" are usually seen driving a Volvo station wagon whilst wearing a brimmed hat.

They are known as, and referd to as, "Old farts" :) :) :)

Danny

Hey Danny,

We do our donuts counter the clock, but our water goes down the drain clockwise.

Kind of like our licence if you get caught doing donuts.

Just saying........

Oh, I see your green light is on.

Have you shown Mr. Earl your creeper yet ? He started a new thread, so you and Grant need to jump in on that one. It's a hoot.

Mike in Colorado

I took another look at that car and noticed the Opera Coupe seat in the rear. I would have thought a convertible would have a bench seat across the back.

Bernie

Opera seats are correct for 1939 66C & 46C convertible and 46S & 66S coupe's. Bench only used in 1939 model 48 (2 door sedan)

Nice looking vehicle, but a long way from being "original". The first thing that jumped out at me were all the interior knobs, handles, and steering wheel are not the maroon, or burgundy, color that all '39s used.

Just my two cents.

Gary

I am surprised at the rear seat configuration. There were two project level '39 Buick convertibles in my 10 miles social radius in my formative years and it seems like I would have had that etched in my mind.

Price is pretty subjective; like my wife says "what difference does it make if you get a good deal, you are not going to sell it anyway." I guess it works both ways.

Bernie