What color headliner in a `64 with standard red interior??

1965rivgs

Had a question from a member who is trying to sort out a car which has been highly modified regarding the correct color headliner in a `64 with the standard red interior. I am 99% sure the headliner should be white and told him so but I thought I would check with the forum. Anyone with an original car with standard red interior? Anyone have pics? Thanks,

Tom Mooney

I put a black headliner in my black interior when I did it up in the mid '90's. I knew it was supposed to be silver, but didn't like the idea. I just got silver samples from Clark's. I am thinking about a color change to Milano Maroon: 140.jpg with an all silver interior. I like the silver headliner and carpet but the silver vinyl looks like the skin from the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz and the silver leather is too gray. Maybe black seats, silver headliner, silver carpets, and lower door panels will ring the bell for me.

Bernie

Bernie, just an FYI. The maroon you picked out looks great, but it has been my experience that maroon cars are the worst color for long term love. They look totally amazing when new, but they all fade really bad and show scratches worse than a black car. I am sure somebody will say they have a maroon car which has 20yr old paint that is perfect, but I am just conveying my opinion. I have owned 3 maroon cars and will never do another one. Just letting you know in case you did not have a lot of experience with that color. Paint is not cheap these days. Good luck with it, either way you go!

PS: I would go with the silver headliner, just because it looks amazing no matter what color interior you have and is easy to keep clean.

Edited by DualQuadDave (see edit history)

Damn, we didn't have these forums in 1980 when I put the maroon on. Here's the car last fall with the 32 year old paint I want to redo:

012.jpg

I am painting it mainly because we used red oxide primer and the red highlights never met my expectations. Well, removing the vinyl top, as well.

In the 1970's I used to search for red cars and buy them cheap. I made pretty good money after I made them shine again. Actually, the color might be a favorite because I cashed in on it.

Bernie

Thanks for your input guys. I`m quite sure, bolstered by the replies here, that the "factory correct" color should be white. It is my opinion Buick used light colored headliners, even in dark colored interiors (like a silver headliner for a black interior, or white headliner in a red interior), to increase reflective light levels inside the interior. I have had cars with black interior-silver headliner and black interior-black headliner and the difference in interior light levels is dramatic. Thanks again,

Tom Mooney

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info from all. After I posted the question I realized I had the information in reference material. The individual year Buick parts books list the appropriate headliner according to trim number. The original headliner in both the standard red and white custom interior was, indeed, white. Thanks again,

Tom Mooney

Guest Pearville
Clark's.

Thanks, I really figured that was the answer. By the way love the pics of your restoration, that is really doing it right. Mike