'56 dash-vents reassembly--UFF DA!

Guest NikeAjax

Guest NikeAjax

Today I rebuilt one of the dash-vents on my '56 Century: it took me a very long while before I stopped thinking to myself, "OMFG, OMFG! What did I do to myself..." The replacement of the veins is satanic to say the least... I figured out that if you shim the outer-most three veins to keep them in place, things go A LOT smoother. I used three, a total of nine, popsicle-sticks between each vein and in the last section a wad of paper, half of a 3x5" index-card. Now before you start thinking how half-assed using popsicle-sticks is, I should point out that the length is nearly ideal, the tail-end of them should be left sticking out, not inside the vent itself, and their length really keeps the veins in place. The wad of paper keeps a dynamic-pressure on the entire assemblage of parts and holds things together which is needed when you put the, for my lack of a real word for it, register in(it's the tiny triangular piece with three holes that moves the veins!) Without that dynamic-pressure, there was no way to hold the piece in while I assembled the second set of eight veins. I needed to keep pushing the piece back in before it slipped out, but it never came off: SANITY SAVED!

Tear-down, clean and reassembly: 20-minutes on the second one!

Jaybird

This is what it looks like shimmed:

10282281744_c331beddba.jpg

Edited by NikeAjax (see edit history)

Guest NikeAjax

"The factory provided free popsicles for the workmen on the assembly line under the condition that all sticks remained company property."

SNORT: okay, that actually made me laugh--thanks!

Jaybird

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NikeAjax

Yet another tip: when removing and installing the ducting, use a hair-dryer set at high to soften the ducts! Over time they shrink back and become brittle. Also, don't use plastic Duck-Tape, use aluminum-ducting-tape for repairing HVAC.

Jaybird

Guest NikeAjax

HELP! Where does this go?!?!?!?

10595205135_0c4aed488f.jpg

I found a copper-wire stuffed into the heater-outlet: where should it go? It has an eye, so it looks like it should be screwed down onto something: is this a ground for the heater-blower?