6 First Gen: 1963-1965 Buick Riviera's and Riviera Parts Public Auction: Dean Dickens Estate

Guest dcoxworth

Guest dcoxworth

Good Morning,

I am Deana Coxworth, daughter of Dean Dickens. My father passed away in June and we are holding his Estate Sale on Oct 12, 2013, in Neodesha, Kansas. There are many car's and car parts available at the auction. I have attached a Auction Flyer.

He was an avid collector of Buick Riviera's. Some of you might even know who he is. For more information about the Auction you can contact his brother, Merle Dickens, at 1-832-364-0669.

Dickens Auction Flyer.pdf

Guest dcoxworth
Good Morning,

I am Deana Coxworth, daughter of Dean Dickens. My father passed away in June and we are holding his Estate Sale on Oct 12, 2013, in Neodesha, Kansas. There are many car's and car parts available at the auction. I have attached a Auction Flyer.

He was an avid collector of Buick Riviera's. Some of you might even know who he is. For more information about the Auction you can contact his brother, Merle Dickens, at 1-832-364-0669.

[ATTACH]216571[/ATTACH]

Thanks for viewing!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from the auction. There was one other guy there who owned a Riviera and was looking for parts for his cars, but there were a couple of guys there who were purchasing large lots of stuff for resale.

I came away okay. An NOS transverse muffler for $40, five cast aluminum covers for $5 each, four NOS cast wheel cover center caps for $10 each, a handful of 1st generation wheel arch moldings, a fan shroud, and a set of nice '63 Riv wire wheel covers, four hood center moldings, 3 - 64/65 and 1 - '63, plus some other goodies. My receipts totaled $195.00 plus $5 for an NOS jack that I bought from the high bidder on "everything that was left on the pallet." He bought the pallet for $4 and I paid him the $5 for the jack.

The steering wheels mentioned in photo #101 were Corvette wheels. One of the ebay guys walked away with five, count them five, NOS horn bars for the Riviera wood wheel. He got up to $50 for one, and things slowed down. I was going to bid the same for the next one that came up for bid, but the auctioneer was letting buyers purchase any amount of like items for the same price on the same bid. He spent $250 and walked out with all five. Me and the other guy were caught with our pants down on that one. Two NOS 63 - 64 tail pans went the same way for $105 each. The ebay guys weren't letting things go, they just kept upping the bid; they'll just raise the prices when they go to resell them.

The six complete cars were in really bad shape. You would have only wanted to drag them home to part them out. Buying them and getting them the 250 miles back to the homestead would have eaten up any profits. They're still there as far as I know; perhaps the one ebay kid will buy them, haul them back to his salvage operation, and put some parts on ebay. The stuff I described that I bought and others were bidding on had all been stored inside; it appeared that the six cars had been outside forever.

My wife went with me, and we had a nice day trip.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I bought some things from Dean several years ago. He had ALOT more stuff. 1958 Bonneville conv.. Several 1931 Chevrolets. Tons (literally) of Griswold cast iron. He claimed to own 30+ Rivieras. The rest were on a farm nearby. The auction was probably the left overs.

I was willing to pay more than that thinking that there would be only one sold at a time and I'd have a second or third shot. When the guy grabbed all of them, I was dumb founded. If there's ever a next time, I'll make sure I understand the ground rules a little better. There were also four NOS '64 cast wheel covers that went as a surprise. The auctioneer would open bidding for anything on the table. I must have not been paying attention because all of a sudden someone bid $50 and no one bid anything higher. The high bidder then had his choice of what he wanted from the table and as before as many of the same items at that price he wanted. First auction like that I've ever attended. Today I worked on the ones I bought for $5 each and they'll look good. The NOS ones didn't have studs in the back; those will be hard to find.

Ed

We had to leave so we could get back home but as I was at the bidding table, Linda was out scouting and found some other interesting items. She showed me and I then showed the one kid who was doing a lot of the resell bidding and made a deal with him. "I'll show you a couple of things, but you have to promise to resell to me at a fair price if you buy them." He agreed and I showed him a box full of NOS plastic centers for the '63 knock off spinners, four NOS bases for the first generation Buick wire wheel covers - if your spokes and spinner are good, but your base is beat up from pounding it back on or has curb rash on it, you could use these bases to create a really pristine set.

I'm never going to criticize Linda's need to look at every single piece of clothing on a rack. Her tenaciousness found a lot of stuff that I over looked. She opened ever box that had a GM parts label on it and made note of where it was located so she could show me later. The only thing that neither of us nor anyone else there could do was decode all of the Moog parts that were still in boxes. I'm sure there were many Buick related items that we passed over.

One thing that was not of particular value but made buying certain things nice was the original NOS boxes that things were in. The bad thing was that the auction was set up outside on Thursday and Friday and it rained Friday night. Most of those boxes were ruined in the rain. They were good for 40+ years then in one day, they were shot. So my NOS muffler had to leave its rain soaked box behind; it was too far gone to try and salvage. I also bought 9 headlight rings for 63/64's. They were in an old box packed in news papers. The news papers were dated 1974. Kind of chilling. I was rereading current events that were happening in Vietnam as I remembered them when they were happening. As I was throwing all the yellowed newspapers away, at the bottom of the box, I found most of the screws for the headlight rings plus a plastic hood emblem for a '63.

All in all it was a profitable and fun experience. At least I didn't have to drive down from Ohio and sleep in my truck like one guy did who I met.

Ed