1955 Buick Power Steering conversion - underwater rocks?

denis23

Yes, I know, there is been loads of threads about this on the forum. And I have read all of this. But some questions left.

So, may be somebody will gladly explain me something, which is still unclear for me.

1. How complicated to unrivet steering box reductor from the donor car shaft and then put it back on my shaft? I am from Estonia, it`s very far from US, so it`s virtually impossible to send whole assembly, as shaft is simply too long. Is this possible to change the reductor without taking shaft off the car?

2. Is there somebody, who offers whole conversion kit? I know, there is been such thing for Chevy, but not see it for Buick?

3. Any other possible issues?

4. Should I buy simultaneously steering box rebuilt kit? Is this readily available?

5. What is the issue with the double pulley? Can I simply screw two single pulley together on the shaft?

The car is very nice 1955 Century, it has Dynaflow and Lockheed Power Brakes, but lacks of PS really hurts.

post-79866-143142191534_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am little bit smarter and would like to ask - would any of the Chevy 1955 replacement steering boxes suit 1955 Buick?

For example, this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saginaw-Steering-Box-1955-57-Buick-Chevy-GMC-Olds-Pontiac-Belair-Nomad-150-210-/300965790841?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4612f58479&vxp=mtr

I mean, just box, not shaft.

If your sticking point is the length of the steering shaft it's quite possible to cut the shaft above the box itself and then rejoin them. There is adequate clearance in the column for a weld bead and/or a sleeve. For safety I would have an experienced welder do that job and further over sleeve the weld joint. As far as I know there is no rebuild kit available but seals, O-rings, and gaskets are standard sizes and gaskets can be cut as required. I've done several and it's not a very complicated or difficult job but it does require absolute cleanliness, attention to detail, and a shop manual..................Bob

So, I am sorry, no clear answer:

will this item fit 1955 century shaft or not. Ok, let ask would it fit 1955 shaft with the use of standart machinery

http://www.ebay.com/itm/54-55-56-Buick-Delphi-Power-Steering-Gear-/160592517781?hash=item25640f5a95&item=160592517781&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

And is this original remanufactured item, or something other?

Tomorrow will open my eyes and take a look on the fabulous piece of medieval machinery, which was once attached 60 years ago, and which is impossible to detach and put together again even with todays engineering. Really interesting. But idea to drive car with welded together steering shaft dont look very positive, so I better will buy full assembly (shaft+box) and find alternative shipment possibilities.