49 roadmaster model 76 -R

The Old Guy

Guest my3buicks

4314, scarce, rather valuable if nice, beautiful styling, first year for the hardtop, a great car to have. BTW, they are called Roadmaster Riviera. Hope you are well J.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Is it a SWEEP SPEAR car?

Pictures, we love pictures.

Dale in Indy

Dale, I was going to say ALL 49 Rivieras had sweepspears but now you have me curious. Something in my mind makes me think it was a mid year addition, but I am thinking all Rivieras had sweepspears.

Dale, I was going to say ALL 49 Rivieras had sweepspears but now you have me curious. Something in my mind makes me think it was a mid year addition, but I am thinking all Rivieras had sweepspears.

It's sort of hazy, nobody knows for sure. There was at least one, perhaps it was the actual first one, that had the straight side stainless present on the other body styles. It was featured on the turntable at the the big Waldorf Astoria Auto Show for 1949 (I'm not sure whether that show was called "Motorama", I think not, but that's essentially what it was) and shots of that are findable. I'll try. The question is, were any more made like that before the balance came out with sweepspears? People really don't know. Of course, the convertible is another story. Prior to intro of the Riv, all the converts had straight moldings, and it was optional afterward, making a sweepspear convert more valuable than a "straight" one.

Also, to clarify: The Riviera itself was a mid-year addition to the Roadmaster lineup, I think about February.

Edited by SBRMD (see edit history)

A Different Answer:

According to George Dammann's "Seventy Years of Buick:

....the Roadmaster Riviera was initially offered with the straight trim, but as production increased in late June, the curved sweep-spear was used, and from July-on the convertible. The curved trim was later carried over on 1950 Roadmaster hardtop and station wagon models.

Page 217 of the revised edition (copyright 1973) also states a total first-year production for the 1949 Roadmaster Riviera Hardtop Coupe, Model 76-R was 4,343

• 2 weeks later...