1956 Buick Help/Advice needed!

sftamx1

I am doing some work on a friends 1956 Special Convertible. I have a shop manual on order, but until then, maybe some one can give me some up front advice! I need to remove the factory wonder bar radio for servicing. I looked up under the dash, and this thing looks like a real bear to get out! Anyone accomplished this before? My next question concerns the convertible top...it goes down fine but really struggles to get back up....very slow. What should I check out on this problem? Thanks for any help!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

To service the radio,you need remove the upper part of the dash,then you can remove the radio from the dash.Are you sure that there are fluid in the pump tank ,check behind the rear seat in the rear compartment.Take a look in the Shop Manual 13-18---13-20 page 476-478.

Leif in Sweden.

I pulled out the ashtrays, which gave me a visual on the side brackets and bolts. Then I removed the knobs and the nuts on the control shafts. Note: the black knobs have a small square cut out at the back and if you put a flat head screwdriver in that slot, then pull the screwdriver forward with the knobs, they will come right off. I am assuming you have already disconnected the power source at the in line fuse? and pulled out the antenna from the back of the radio.

• 2 weeks later...

Great, thanks. I have removed the radio for service. It is the model with no pushbuttons, and there is a switch on the floor for changing stations.pretty futuristic!

I have also just rebuilt the carter 2v carb, and noticed there is no "Inline" fuel filter, but there is some type of round filter fastened to the carb fule line inlet. Is this filter satisfactory, or should I install an additional filter? Thanks!

Car is running good, with the rebuilt Carter WGD 2V Carb..... but, the choke thermostat is weak, and does not close the valve tightly when cold, even with adjustment.Does any one have a source for these choke 'stats? The number on it is 170AA374S Thanks!