Ball joints/tie rods - what to do when the castle nut tightens below the cotter pin hole

RansomEli

Need some advice on tightening down ball joints and tie rod ends.

Most of the time you torque the nut down, insert the cotter pin and then bend the pin around the castle nut so it won't work loose. Most of the time.

I'm working on a car where my replacement ball joint nut tightens down below the cotter pin hole.

Question #1: Do I dare place a flat washer under the nut so that it aligns with the cotter pin hole?

#2: Do I just bend the cotter pin into the castle nut as best as possible?

Thanks.

Need some advice on tightening down ball joints and tie rod ends.

Most of the time you torque the nut down, insert the cotter pin and then bend the pin around the castle nut so it won't work loose. Most of the time.

I'm working on a car where my replacement ball joint nut tightens down below the cotter pin hole.

Question #1: Do I dare place a flat washer under the nut so that it aligns with the cotter pin hole?

#2: Do I just bend the cotter pin into the castle nut as best as possible?

Thanks.

I would use a washer to take up the slack.

A washer should be OK assuming the deep fit isn't because of a worn female taper or the wrong male taper on the ball joint. I do believe I'd do a bit of checking before I just bolted it up and said "good to go"...............Bob

A washer should be OK assuming the deep fit isn't because of a worn female taper or the wrong male taper on the ball joint. I do believe I'd do a bit of checking before I just bolted it up and said "good to go"...............Bob

Yeah....that would be a good idea.

I have had that problem before, using new ball joints from Rare Parts Company.

I just ended up bending a longer cotter pin to fit into the castle nuts slot.

Clients vehicle still checks out OK - has not loosened up.

I can't stand aftermarket rubbish! Even junk is still made in the USA....