1939 Body to Frame Material

Guest 39president

Guest earl39

Does anyone know what the correct thickness of the Body Cushion material should be for a 1939 Stude President 4dr Sedan(body to frame mounts)? Can't find this information. Also, is the same thickness used at all mount points? Thanks for any help!

Studebaker used cut up old tires for their body mount pads. (Yes, really.) The thickness is not the same at all body points. When the body is removed from the frame all pads must be counted for each mounting point and replaced exactly where they came from.

Terry

Guest earl39

Thanks for the information. I was hoping the thickness was listed somewhere. The mount pads look squished from being so old so I don't know how accurate the measurement would be.

Nick

I use 1/4 or 5/16 rubber. You can buy it from McMaster carr in 2 or 3 inch wide strips. On pre 34 cars or open cars you might have to use different thickness in different locations because the body fit can be effected. I have done many body off jobs and never seen old tire pads. I have seen welting material and felt before. You can use the welt but it gets expensive.

studebakerclassics.com

Guest earl39

I like the idea of rubber, just wish Studebaker listed what thickness and where. I would think all cars made in a certain year would require the same mount pad thickness in the same areas.

My 41 has cut-up tires for all the pads I can see. I have no idea who put them in there though.

Studebaker did!! :) They apparently did do some research regarding the best material to use and decided that cut up tire sidewalls worked the best.

Terry

Guest earl39

Looking closely at the pads, they do look like tire rubber with off white cords showing. All the responses to this question are great! Waiting to see if more info shows up. THANKS Stude People!