Vibration while braking

bb1970

Hey all, Here's the problem. I put some wire wheels on my '65. I now get a vibration while braking. No vibration while driving. And I didn't have any vibration before the wheel change. Could I have warped a drum when I torqued the wheels down (95lbs.) ?? Bill

The wheels are distorting when the force of braking is being applied to them. I had this happen on a Buick road wheel once...had me scratching my head for answers for a few days. I`d remove the wheels and have a shop familiar with wire wheels check the spokes for tightness and true the wheels.

Tom Mooney

Did you try switching the wheels front to back to see if the vibration goes away?

I did switch wheels from front to rear. I am wondering if it is a tie rod problem on the right front. I have a little play in it. I spoke with a guy with Rally America. They deal in a lot of wire wheels. He suggested getting the drums turned. And addressing any front end issues. As truing a wire wheel is about $200 ea. plus shipping cost to California. That sounds like it is worth a shot. I can't seem to find a wheel shop in K.C. that fools with old wires. I even called a few motorcycle shop. No dice.

BTW. Thanks for the kind words for the car. White wall tires are getting kinda tough to find. Also I just ordered a tie rod end and rear shocks from Rock Auto for $72 shipped. My local O'reilly's wanted $50 for the tie rod and $24 ea. for the shocks. That would be about $106 after tax for the same exact parts.

Edited by bb1970 (see edit history)

At O'rielly's they have different books with different prices. You have to talk to someone who will look in the books as opposed to the computer.

I, for example, was quoted $ 37 for a set of points from Rare Parts on the computer. After going to the books behind the counter we found a set for $ 4.95.

They are in the business to make money, so if they can find a fool who will pay $ 37 for points, they will be more then happy to take it.