sudden running issue

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

I ran the Reatta about 400 miles this weekend, put new plugs and wires on last week and she was running beautifully, today, I was about 150 miles from home and all of a sudden it started running terribly, shuddering, feeling like I was going over rumble strips when trying to accelerate, major drop in power/performance, on a couple long hills on the interstate I topped them at 45mph all out, I found that buy running it in drive and keeping the RPM's up a bit it helped a little and it got me home. Sitting idling it is obvious there is an issue also. I ran the codes and I do not believe any of these will cause this issue. E026H, 6336H,6448H, 6552H, r061H, r071H, ecp Thoughts?

The E026 could be caused by the EGR valve and that would certainly account for the poor running conditions you are experiencing. There are three solenoids in the EGR valve. You can test them in diagnostics to see if they will energize but there could be a port that is not closing all the way.

This link will be helpful: Code E026 Troubleshooting - Reatta Owners Journal

Guest 89 Maui

I had the same problem with my '89, I purchased it and drove 750 miles home with no problems. 2 days later I was driving it to the office and it started doing exactly what you described. Got it home then did a tune up but to no avail. Then I found that it was the ICM (ignition control module) under the power pac, bought a new one and fixed the problem.

Woody

Keith,

I agree that it sounds like the ICM went bad on you with your description of the behavior under load, up a grade and performing better when taken out of OD but, it's been my experience that things settle down and the engine seems to idle OK.

If after performing the checks Ron mentioned, you're still having issues, you could try the Padgett Magnavox/Delco, RF#14 plug upgrade. (they are under *Articles and Fixes*) If you decide to change out the ICM you might as well go all out.

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Just for the sake of trying it, I tried it this morning while cold, still sounds the same and very fumey in the garage. Will run the codes when I get home from work today

Fumy can also be a very rich exhaust, maybe due to a miss.
I agree. If the EGR tests indicate the solenoids are working, pulling and inspecting some spark plugs would be next on my list. If you have a spare ICM, or want to buy one, installing it might be easier than pulling spark plugs.

Guest my3buicks

Ok, just in from doing the diagnostic - ERG is clicking open and closed on all 3 valves. So I guess I will get an ICM and try that - I would assume I should only buy an AC Delco ? Not that they can't go bad, but the coil pack was new in the spring.

Guest my3buicks

Back with the living - it was the ICM - running like a top again. Thanks for everyone's help and for the Reatta Store for good prices and quick delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

Can read the error code on the dash of a Reatta. Unfortunately with OBD-I the secondary ignition (ICM, coild, plug wires, plugs) usually does not set a code. On a modern car with OBD-II it would probably show up as a P030x.