Two Kids from Austria on a Cross Country Drive in a 1969 Cadillac

Ovalrace25

Daughter of one of the car-guys I have known for 20 years wanted to see the USA--- In an old car.. The plan was to see California and head towards New York where they would send the car back to Austria. I have one week to find a decent car for them. I found a pretty nice 1969 Cadillac. Found a really nice one-owner car and did a little checking and away they went....... NOW they are in Nevada and the car runs a little hot. SO-- I AM LOOKING FOR SOMONE THAT IS IN THE LAS VEGAS AREA THAT CAN TELL ME WHERE THEY CAN GO FOR HELP! Need to check out the radiator and cooling system. The car looks like it has recent hoses, belts, and water pump. Runs great--- But could be the radiator is plugged.. Anyone recommend a shop in Las Vegas Area? Rod-7072877506post-46235-143142115136_thumb.jpg

Rod,

I made a phone contact with a friend in the Phoenix area who will contact someone in Las Vegas.

You should hear from them shortly.

Marty

Thank You Marty for the phone call! I have sent the info to Susanna and her father. Still trying to get her on the phone-- The one thing I really should have done was get her a local number cell phone.. She has her Austrian phone which can be a problem to use in many areas around the country.

Thank You for the help from all the Las Vegas guys! BUT She is now puling into Phoenix. Tuesday eve. now. I finally got her on the phone (European number) and she told me the car runs hot when they have the A/C on and drive more than 50mph. I told her that may be what it will do no matter what--- But IF I can find a contact in the Phoenix/Mesa area that can have a look, SUPER! Anyone?

Cadillacs didn't run hot under those conditions years ago, so it shouldn't now. Cadillac cooling systems were way overengineered compared to most other GM cars.

Possibly a combination of modern fuels (leaning out) and higher altitudes may be contributing? That engine will work fairly hard hauling a Caddy up mountains.

Rods, great thing you're doing for these kids, and good idea to get them a US cellphone number as it will save them a lot of international phone charges.

Got some GREAT HELP from a couple of the AACA guys-- Thank You Marty and Ande! The kids are on the road again headed east on 10. Susanna says the help was REALLY appreciated..

Suspense is killing me! The answer to the problem was what?

Agree it is a neat thing to help these kids with some memories that should last a lifetime.

Ben

We'll be looking for them here in New Orleans.

Driving across the USA in a vintage Cadillac would be an experience for any of us, but especially for Europeans who typically are in awe of the vastness of our country.

We continue to drive it every chance we get, and are still amazed at all we see and experience.

Just last week, heading to Grand Forks, North Dakota for the AACA Central Division Meet, and then Back to New Orleans - great people - great food - great cars - and mostly excellent roads.

As a veteran traveler of the I-10 between Austin and San Diego/Los Angeles, I can tell you the weather can get hot & the road can get steep.

If there was any doubt about my car's condition I would just replace the water pump, thermostat and radiator, preferably with the desert/towing version.

Never had a problem, except for the one time I ignored my own advice and got stuck with an overheating radiator in Van Horn, Texas.

There are so many wonderful things to see and do between Phoenix and Austin. Arizona: Seligman,Tombstone, Bisbee, the Franklin museum in Tucson, Wilcox. New Mexico: the area around Silver City, Deming (El Mirador has the best NewMex food), Carlsbad caverns, Mesilla & Las Cruces. Texas: Van Horn, Ft. Stockton, Fort Davis, Junction (stop for BBQ)

The road is long and empty but very interesting. I find myself turning off the radio and just driving.

I need a road trip.