"Buick By The Numbers" Articles in "The Buick Bugle"

Mark Shaw

I have had several issues with DMV inspectors who have misinformation regarding the location, type, and most importantly, how these tags are attached to the vehicle. So, I was very pleased to read all three articles about Buick ID tags, Engine Numbers, & Tag Locations in the July 2013 issue of "The Buick Bugle" that came in today's mail. A BIG THANKS to Carl Soutenberg, Calvin Higgins, Pete Phillips for these great articles.

Several of my Buicks came only with a bill of sale and required verification by the Washington State Patrol. One inspector insisted that I remove the body so he could see the stamped serial number on the top of the frame rail near the gas tank on my 1924 Buick! He refused to accept the riveted frame number tag behind the left front wheel. Years later, the same inspector refused to use the number on the oval brass tag riveted to the rear frame rail on my 1912 Buick. So he decided to use the engine number for registration (this didn't make sense when Texas did it, and still makes no sense today).

So, I think it would be a good thing if BCA members passed on this issue of "The Buick Bugle" to each DMV authority so they can update their records. At least take a copy with you when you go to register a prewar Buick. It will sure make it easier.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald
the July 1913 issue of "The Buick Bugle" that came in today's mail

Yikes, and I thought Canada Post was slow...

All PA asks for is the signed title or bill of sale, a rubbing of the serial number, a completed form and a check. ............................Bob

Up here, the biggest concern is the check....

Unfortunately, it isn't necessarily any easier here...it just costs more.

• 2 weeks later...

Well . . . the reason the "motor number" was used in TX is that it was VERY uncommon for the production engine to ever leave the chassis it was installed into at the factory. ALL major engine work was done "in chassis", which is why many inline engines' back cylinder might have piston noise. The boring bar sat on the top of the block, but the cowl usually over-hung the rear cylinder, so no way to bore that rear cylinder for an oversize piston. So that back one got a new set of rings on the original piston. That's just how things usually happened UNLESS the work was done in a shop with an overhead hoist , a "gin pole" truck, or a strong tree to swing the hoist out of. In some cases, too, it was easier to remove the front end sheet metal than to try to remove the motor.

I was of the orientation that TX was not the only state that used Motor Numbers to define the registered vehicle, at least until the middle 1950s. As a result, IF the original motor is removed (for whatever reason) and another installed in its place, there are papers which much be filed with the state on this matter. If needed, the TX DPS can affix their own number to the engine for titling purposes, upon the completion of their inspection of the vehicle. Seems like the ID plate riveted to the lh kick panel in our '51 GMC pickup has a motor number, "rated horsepower", and "taxable horsepower" stamped on it? Crankshafts were also "ground" in chassis, back then. Very similar to many larger trucks are done in more modern times.

Cheers!

NTX5467

I, too was pleased with the articles in the Bugle. The serial number on my 49 Super Sedanette has what appeared to be an "I" in it, and on re-examination that was what was on the California title when I bought it. In looking at the number, it was clear to me that it should be a numeral 1 and the mechanic inspecting it for the first time for registration in Missouri agreed, recording it as a 1. The Missouri DMV through the satellite field office near my home compared it with the California title showing it as an I and declined it, so we did the re-inspection and entered it as an I and it sailed through. I thought no more of it, although it bothers me to have an incorrect number on the title.

When I read the Bugle articles, it made sense to me with the change in the font. I'm wondering if I should take the Bugle article to the DMV and get this corrected, or not risk arousing the bureaucracy. Government people have an amazing way of checking common sense at the door, but I cannot blame them. They are products of the system.

Guest shadetree77

I wouldn't bother with getting it changed. You are liable to open yourself up to a nightmare situation. My '52 has several of the "6" numbers that look like a lower case "b". They are on my registration as the letter "b". When I first got my car registered, the DMV had it listed as a 1954. To get it changed, I was told to call the 911 dispatcher and get her to send an officer to my house to inspect the car and the data plates and fill out a paper stating the corrections. The "officer" that came out had to have been pushing 100 yrs. old and wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. It took me a LONG time to explain to him what I needed and why. It wasn't until much later, after talking to the late Dave Corbin, that I realized the mistake in the numbering on my registration. However, I am NOT going through that situation again just to get a few numbers corrected.

Guest shadetree77

It was awesome. My Wife and I had a great time and enjoyed meeting a lot of the folks from this forum. Oh, and the cars were nice too!:D:p

Glad to hear it. I couldn't attend-our anniversary is on the 21st of July...I'm thinking about attending the Fall swap meet at Carlisle. It's been a long time since I've been to a really big toy store...

Glad to hear it. I couldn't attend-our anniversary is on the 21st of July...I'm thinking about attending the Fall swap meet at Carlisle. It's been a long time since I've been to a really big toy store...

My anniversary is July 17th. I think we've been at a National every year for the last 3 years on our Anniversary. I told the wife that I took her out of town to a nice hotel to celebrate!