64 Riviera - What does this button under the dash do?

Guest trunkmatt

Guest trunkmatt

Okay - under the dash on my 64 Riviera there is a button... and I cant find out what it does. It appears in the manual, but is unlabeled. It doesn't appear on wiring diagrams... yet there is a wire / cable running to it.

I push it and nothing seems to happen... so I am wondering if maybe it is the reset button for the whole universe or something? If the sun keeps rising / setting wherever you are... I apologize, as I keep pressing this button and it must be linked to that.

post-94856-143141973925_thumb.jpg

OK Trunk Matt: IT is the reset device for the trip odometer. You push it in and turn it and eventually brings all the numbers to zero. They usually are a pain because it's almost impossible to lube them and they get hard to manipulate, much like myself, from age. It's nice to have them work especially if the gas gauge isn't accurate. Mitch

Guest trunkmatt

Thanks for the swift reply... obviously I just picked up my Riviera :D (been hunting for one for 5 years). My other classic cars are early 70's Chevy... so this one had me scratching my head. The fact that they left it unlabeled in all the manuals / schematics tells me that it must've been common operating knowledge for early 60's vehicles and thus did not need instruction.

Edited by trunkmatt (see edit history)

So that's what that button is for! I just assumed it was the remnants of some aftermarket accessory added by the previous owner. It looks so out of place, and like no other GM/OEM part I've ever seen. Thanks for posting this question. Mystery solved!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know where I can get the knob for the trip odometer? Trunkmatts's is the first car I've seen with one although my experience with Riv's is limited. I believe the pictures of cars in the OPG catalog don't even have them! It's a bugger to turn with my delicate fingers. Lol.

Bill