55 Century Conver - interiors HELP!

Guest DCammJr

Guest DCammJr

Hello all! Name is Drew from Mass. Upholsterer...

I have a customer's project; 55 Century Convert and would like some help;

interior picture - uncovered, in process, seats, door panels and convert boots.

Also, interior PARTS... Who has 'em?

Thanks very much!

I hope you're good with stitching a straight line - there are lots of seams in this pattern!

That is an incorrect picture since the red interior never had white inserts...other colors did have contrasting inserts. :)

My website has some shots (see my signature at bottom). I have pictures of other color interiors and can get more specific shots along with measurements, but since you are 'in the business' there will be a charge for that service.

Willie

If by interior parts you mean upholstery materials try SMS. They have the original dealer spec books and can answer many of your questions. They are not the friendliest folks in the world. I suspect they deal with many folks who are triflers. If you are upfront and are honestly considering dealing with them they will treat you fine. There is little interior hardware being repro'ed. BTW, 55 Buick Century converts all came with leather interiors with some parts of the seats vinyl................Bob

Guest Rob McDonald
SMS... are not the friendliest folks in the world. I suspect they deal with many folks who are triflers

Last fall, I confirmed by phone that SMS had the cloth and vinyl that I needed for my Buick and I then dropped in at Canby, Oregon (about an hour south of Portland) to pick it up. Everyone I met was friendly but also very busy. No one really had time to chat, although even the company president stuck his head out of his crowded office to say hello. The firm goes though an incredible amount of product and, while the shop and warehouse are huge, the office space is very compact and every square inch is busy, busy. Please remember that they are suppliers of unique material, not upholsterers.

So if phone calls to SMS seem rather brusque, don't take it personally. Just know that three other phones are ringing and maybe a dozen samples are being mailed out while you're on the line.

DREW, I apologize for posting a photo of a non-original Century interior. I should known better than to trust Google Images for correctness. Seems to me now that '55 Century convertibles had waffle-stitched seat inserts, similar to '54 Skylarks. Can anyone confirm that?

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

I wouldn't be so harsh. He noted that he's working on a customer's car and asked for advice, so perhaps doesn't have a long term interest in Buicks. Finding this forum as a valuable source of information and requiring to sign up to post a question leads to the "newbie" nature. Granted, a thank you would be nice, but many requests / posts here are not necessarily particularly polite (I'm guilty of this myself).

Err, Ahh...........Whatever his long term interests are or aren't I was raised that when I asked a favor of someone and that favor was granted it was considered good manners to acknowledge it with a "thank you". I do believe it is still so. Asking complete strangers to contribute their time and resources and then to not even acknowledge the receipt of their contribution is just plain rude..............Bob