1929 Whippet value

Guest Atari1977

Guest Atari1977

I have rhw opportunity to make an offer on a 1929 whippet. I have no idea of it's value though. It needs repairs, has an original engine that needs to be put in, and new tires are needed. It's been parked under cover for about 10 ten years. Any ideas on an appropriate offer?

The answer to your question is determined by how much you want a Whippet.Consider this: #1 A Whippet is a lot like a 29 Model A Ford or a 29 Chevrolet in size, engineering and ride.#2 Chevrolet out sold Ford and Whippet that year and you very seldom see 1929 Chevrolets or Whippets today.#3 All three are worth about the same with equal restorations.#4 Restoration costs are lower for the Ford for 3 main reasons: A. Model A engines were nearly industructable compared to the others. B. The Moidel A had a steel body frame making it easier and less costly to restore. (Exception granted for the few 4 door sedans with a wooden body frame) C. Because of the two above, the Model A has the biggest seletion of reprodution parts available of any antique car.People that I know with Whippets all complain that so many people think it's a Model A. Also if you plan to drive it a lot, parts to keep it going could be hard to locate.But, if you want somthing unique and cost vs. final value is not a consideration, enjoy the whippet project.Just my opinion that it's worth about the same as a distressed Model A or Chevrolet in similar condition, but restoration costs will be greater. Sounds like a $2500 or less car even if it's all there and restorable. The seller may think it's rarity adds value, but not in unrestored condition.

I agree with Paul, I will add that it makes a difference in price to restore if it is a 4 door with bad wood or a roadster with bad wood.

There is a Whippet for sale that was converted to a truck that runs and drives with new tires for about $3,000

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw a 29 Whippet roadster, newly restored except for needing a new canvas top, for just $9999 on Ebay. Wish I had seen that ad a week ago. To the guy who says you should just buy a Model A, I haven't seen any restored Model A roadsters selling for under 10K recently!