1963 Riviera air filter housing color

Guest Steeleco

14 hours ago, RivNut said:

That will give you some wrinkle but not up to factory specs.  It’s also too red for the factory appearance.

Ed,

I think I will disagree with that one. I bought a refurbished air cleaner from Muscle Car Air Cleaners 2 years ago. Last year I notice a small chip on my air cleaner. I asked them what they used to redo my air cleaner. He said to use VHT SP204 Red wrinkle. I ordered that can and touched it up. Perfect match. Here are shots of the air cleaner that I bought. You be the judge but, it looks pretty good to me. Also for those redoing their air cleaners, the inside is not wrinkle it is a glossy finish. Look at their website they do some pretty nice work. https://musclecaraircleaners.com/

Bill

DSCN7581.JPG

DSCN7582.JPG

DSCN7586.JPG

DSCN7587.JPG

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

@Riviera63 I like the color! The wrinkle finish looks good as well.  Perhaps you could write up a tutorial om your process and products. I’d be willing to follow it on a spare 63 breather that I have.

Ed,

I did not refurbish my air cleaner. I bought a refurbished air cleaner from Muscle Car Air Cleaners. It was cheaper for me to buy one refurbished outright and sell my old one than to send in mine and have it refurbished. The person to contact at Muscle Car Air Cleaners is: Niels Jensen. He was very accommodating and helpful. He may be able to help out with the process and paints used. Attached is another picture showing the painted interior of my air cleaner. Also attached is a "before" picture of the air cleaner I purchased. They work magic. 

Bill

Air cleaner interior.jpg

original air cleaner before restoration.jpg

I’ve powder coated about 3 or 4 of these air cleaners for the  401 engine. The powder coat benefit is easy to keep clean. At least for me it is.

Putting on the metal emblem has given me trouble. The paint on the emblems are not good. They scratch easily. Protect the finish of the cover.

Use sand bags if someone hasn’t already suggested bags to hold down the newly cemented cover. Do 1/2 of the emblem cover one day and the other half the next.

The Wildcat decal I made myself. I made the decal over size because that is what I wanted.

Turbinator

435D637E-24EB-4811-B4B0-7ECF80DBC86F.jpeg

• Like 1

Take notice - Turbinator has his battery facing the right way AND the positive post is oriented properly.   To be correct, according to a service bulletin, he may have his positive battery placed properly (cannot tell from the picture) by having the positive cable sandwiched between the battery and the hold down post.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:42 AM, kegart said:

remember to remove the air cleaner with clean hands when working on the engine. The paint stains easily and can be difficult to clean.

Sounds crazy, but I am. I wear brown cotton gloves when handling metal objects that pick up fingerprints. Early on I thought expert advice about “ keeping the metal contaminant free was BS”. They were right. Finger up cleaned aluminum alloy for powder coating and not have the item kitchen clean and your finish looks …. Not good.

Turbinator

On 5/17/2023 at 7:42 AM, kegart said:

The VHT paint works good. You need to remember to remove the air cleaner with clean hands when working on the engine. The paint stains easily and can be difficult to clean.

Kevin 

Flat or satin final clearcoat would be easier to keep clean.