Can you ID this car?

Guest brianpatrick27

Guest brianpatrick27

I need some help identifying the make and model of the car in these photos. I know the first photo was taken around 1913, but the car may be older than that. The car was owned by my great grandparents who lived near Troy, New York.

Thanks!

-Brian

post-93012-143141873281_thumb.jpg

post-93012-143141873276_thumb.jpg

Guest missM

or could be an Oldsmobile, Oakland, Durant/Pontiac? an early General motors automobile? were all these bodies made by Fisher?

have had a lot of fun this weeken researching these old automobiles, the brass era cars are beautiful.

Guest missM
Way too old to be a Durant or Pontiac. Oakland wasn't part of GM, at that time, and Durant (the car) never was

dyslexic, or just not paying attention, had read a wiki article on GM and also Fisher Coach. should have typed "Oakland/Pontiac" as a short way of Oakland, later named Pontiac. and I guess Durant the person more than car.

but the main point being that a lot of them older cars looking the same even being more or less hand made, seems to me to be a result of outsourcing for lack of a better word, the bodies etc that went into the cars?

Something about the Cadillac guess, doesn't sit well with me. In both of the first photos, I'm seeing a body line in the door from front to rear, that is not shown on any 09/10 Cadillac photos. The curvature of the front fender is also absent on the Cadillacs. I just can't find the ID on the first photos...... grrrrrr!

Chuck

Guest missM
Something about the Cadillac guess, doesn't sit well with me. In both of the first photos, I'm seeing a body line in the door from front to rear, that is not shown on any 09/10 Cadillac photos. The curvature of the front fender is also absent on the Cadillacs. I just can't find the ID on the first photos...... grrrrrr!

Chuck

I've been perplexed as well, by this one, and Loper's thread I started. I was concentrated on the front fenders as well, and found a buick with the curve on the front.

has turned into a puzzle, wanting to find the right answer, fun stuff really.

my thought is that being pretty much handmade, bodies pretty much supplied by Fisher on the Durant owned companies, GM rite?, that maybe in some cases, what was in stock got put on the car?

and short of actually seeing the motor, frame, wheelbase, difficult to ID.

and lastly, this particular car, I wonder if there would be a Buick or Cadillac script on the radiator, behind the tag? and is that a NY tag? can't make it out.

Guest missM
Could be a 1909 Olds. Lots of things match. Fenders, wheels, etc oldsmobile-model-x3-touring.2000x1331.Feb-15-2012_14.52.54.351924.jpg

yes, it does, browsed many pics the other day, and was wanting to get one with the curve on the front fender, the 10 spoke 12 spoke deal, and so on.

problem was, got sidetracked lookin at Chalmers and a couple others with similar details.

I did get the feeling I should only be looking at vintage pictures, as a hundred years later, the car may not be original, so that gave me a headache, and have been sitting back, waiting on an expert to say "that's a _____, just look at the windshield hinge" or something...

If you look closely at the hood and cowl of the car in question, you will see that it is rounded on the top hinge and not flat at the top hinge like a Buick or Oldsmobile. More like the one on the Cadillac.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest missM
If you look closely at the hood and cowl of the car in question, you will see that it is rounded on the top hinge and not flat at the top hinge like a Buick or Oldsmobile. More like the one on the Cadillac.

yes, I think I see that as well. such similar automobiles, no wonder they put them pretty brass nameplates on the radiator, and/or unique grilles and such.

• 10 years later...
On 4/27/2013 at 8:54 PM, Guest brianpatrick27 said:

I need some help identifying the make and model of the car in these photos. I know the first photo was taken around 1913, but the car may be older than that. The car was owned by my great grandparents who lived near Troy, New York.

Thanks!

-Brian

post-93012-143141873281_thumb.jpg

post-93012-143141873276_thumb.jpg

1910 Pierce-Racine 30Hp Model K Touring

Manufacturer :
1904 - 1909 Pierce Engine Co.
1909 - 1910 Pierce Motor Co. - Racine, Wisconsin.

1910_Pierce-Racine_Horseless_Age_Magazine_Ad.jpg

• Like 1