1929 D A wood wheel question

Ltaylor

Gentlemen: I have a question for those that have rebuilt wood wheels in the past. I have the hub bolts out and everything marked, but I'm not sure whether the front hub comes of the shaft or the drum comes off to free the spokes. Everything is rusty so it's hard to tell also I have looked in the forum and can't find any pic's. any help would be appreciated.

Ltaylor

Assuming that you have the wheel off the car, it shouldn't make that much difference. As long as the hub nuts and bolts are out, the assembly should come apart in three pieces, the front of the hub, the brake drum, and the rear of the hub. It might help to post a picture for us. Also assuming that your wheel bearing are already out.

You said front hub in your post so I assumed. Am I correct that you haven't got the wheel off the axle but you have taken the axle nut off? If this is the case, you probably need a hub puller. Your a little far away for me to lend you mine. Miscommunication on "hub bolts" also, those would be the nuts and bolts that hold the two haves and brake drum together. If you search the forum for hub puller you should get some pictures of one. I actually used a chain and gear puller to do this once but it would be much easier if you had the right tool. I think you have a wheel bearing in there somewhere, you just haven't got to it yet. you are going to need the kind of hub puller that threads on to your hub rather than the kind that you hold on with lug nuts. A picture will help communication.

Either way it is about the same. Two or three pieces. frank29u says to be prepared to replace hub bolts and nuts because when they are installed, the bolts are peened down to retain the nuts. they may be ok for a second use but be careful and you will need to peen them again to keep them from getting loose.

Thank you for all the info. I will replace the bolts, which I understand can be purchased at Fastenal. I think the pic problem has been solved, so what I need to know is which piece should be comming off nowpost-71069-143141823581_thumb.jpgpost-71069-143141823581_thumb.jpg that the bolts have been taken out, should I be tapping in the front hub, trying to get it off or tapping on the drum trying to drive it off. I can't tell which to do because of the parts being rusted and not wanting to just fall apart.

post-71069-143141823577_thumb.jpg

post-71069-143141823581_thumb.jpg

post-71069-143141823582_thumb.jpg

In old pix, at the factory, the felloe is flat on a table, the spokes are loosely assembled and the hub is slipped on. The whole thing is conical and then the hub is pressed down, flattening the wheel. The drum goes on last. Disassembly would be to remove the drum first

Guest Bill Miller

You might have some difficulty finding correct wheel spokes in good condition. If so you might consider Noah Stutzman, an Amish wheelwright located near Baltic Ohio about 50 miles south and west of Canton. He made 2 new rear wheels for me using my hubs and T-clips and using my old spokes as a pattern. Great workmanship and quite reasonable, about half the price other guys were quoting me. If you go this route let me know by p m and I'll find his contact info for you.

I just got done restoring my 1928 Durant wheels and it was a lot of work but well worth it. Be very careful if you use the old spokes not to sand where the spoke goes into the Fellow and where they come together on each other near the hub. I used 4 coats of marine grade varnish I purchased from an old wooden boat suppler and followed their directions, leaving about a day between coats to dry. I then painted the hub, brake drum and fellow with an acrylic enamel since they are going to see debris from the road. The finish is real hard. If your going to pain them then you can of course skip the varnish.

post-48077-143141826355_thumb.jpg

post-48077-143141826317_thumb.jpg

post-48077-143141826345_thumb.jpg