A second, seperate, 12v system

Guest yamahondarider

Guest yamahondarider

I bought a beautiful, 1952 Dodge Coronet all original down to the 6v system. Now, this goes for any cars and anyones experience (hence the general section), how do you guys feel about mounting a GM 1 wire 85 amp alternator and running it to charge a 12v battery mounted in the trunk, and run things like a phone charger, radio and speakers, some little accessories and stuff like a 12v emergency compressor ect. while retaining the stock 6v system seperately to power everything factory? I think this is a good, reversable way to make the car a little more livable for me. Anyone else have experience with this?

I can't comment on adding a 12-volt alternator, however my 1912 KisselKar has dual positive-ground 6-volt and 12-volt systems, using a plug-in battery charger from time to time to bring the batteries up to full. The 6-volt system powers ignition, siren, side and tail lamps and dash light, and 12-volts are supplied to the add-on starter, brake light and halogen spotlight.

The 12-volt accessories you expect to use don't consume much power — you could probably forget about the alternator, put a deep-cycle battery in the trunk and just charge it up every now and again.

post-59237-143141813967_thumb.jpg

A 12volt battery is a good idea to power your accessories. I did the same thing mounting a small motor bike battery under the seat. Just need to make sure it is easy to access for the charger.

Once you have used the car numerous times you will get a feel for how much you drain the battery.

The alternator is overkill. Especially 85 amps.

I found that the battery would last a full weekend of driving and I was generally close to home before the cd stopped playing.

We have an alternator on our 1940 Zephyr, which powers the air conditioning that was installed. I believe, though, that there is just an extra six-volt battery in the trunk and it is run in series with the other battery. That way you retain your six-volts for all your six-volt bulbs, etc. I'll try to get more information on this set-up from the man who installed it.

Guest yamahondarider

Thanks for all the tips guys. I agree, maybe just a battery would work. I was thinking maybe down the line of adding subwoofers, so eventually an alternator would be necessary. I'm pretty undecided on that though. I'll pick up a garden tractor battery and wire it all up. I gotta figure out how to mount speakers without cutting into any panels. I'm thinking make boxes out of 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch plywood and mounting them under the dash and if theres enough room, under the seats. Maybe on the rear deck behind the rear seats.

Years ago a friend of mine put a 12V motorcycle battery in his 6V VW beetle so he could run a stereo. He said he put the battery charger on it once a week and left it to charge overnight. I'm sure with the gel cell and other improved batteries they have these days, you could run a lot of accessories with just a battery.

Guest yamahondarider
Years ago a friend of mine put a 12V motorcycle battery in his 6V VW beetle so he could run a stereo. He said he put the battery charger on it once a week and left it to charge overnight. I'm sure with the gel cell and other improved batteries they have these days, you could run a lot of accessories with just a battery.

Makes sense, I found a guy local with fully charged, brand new deep cycle batteries at $25 a piece. I don't know if they "fell off the truck" or what, but hes sold a bunch and I hear good things, so I might take a shot at that price. I figure a deep cycle 12v battery to power one stereo with 4 speakers connected should be plenty. Also a charger for my phone.

Guest bofusmosby

startergenrebuilder

In your photo of the starter you have for your avitar, do you sell the band that is at the rear of the starter? I re-built my starter, and the band on mine has some rust-through holes, and would like to find another band for mine.

As far as this subject matter goes, with just the extra battery in your trunk, you shouldn't have to worry about any engine noise with your sound system. Unless you are really pulling some power, wouldn't a 12 volt inverter also do the trick?