Ethanol fuel???

cobravii

Hi Guys,

Since I am doing a frame off on my '64 Buick, I am wondering what I could be doing to make sure that I can safely use premium fuel that has ethanol added to it. Do I need to change fuel lines? Carb kits?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

If you have never replaced the fuel pump in the past 10 years, or so, then the diaphragm may deteriorate from the ethanol. If the pump is operating well leave it alone. However, in time, the fuel pump may begin to accumulate fuel around the outside edges of the fuel diaphragm. This is "soaking", a sign of failure. Also the pressure may begin to drop causing fuel starvation, which appears to be vapor lock approaching. If the FP is old,rebuild it with modern parts. I like Then & Now Automotive in Weymouth Ma.( on line). After that, check the drivability. The carb and filters my need attention. Ron

I think I'd go ahead and get a new fuel pump, for general principles. If it hasn't failed yet, it probably will. It's been noted (in other threads) that although the fuel pump diaphram material can be "ethanol resistant" and work well with ethanol, IF it ever dries out from non-use, then it will become brittle and fail when new fuel is added to it.

Remember, ethanol is a "drying agent" (as many alcohol-based liquids usually are). This means that it'll remove any latent deposits which are oil-based and also dry out (from the inside out!) any fuel line rubber hose. I found one place where the ethanol seeped into and through an older rubber hose, then got to the inner fabric reinforcement, and then the outer layer of rubber dried and fell off. Due to the earlier use of ethanol in the 1990s "ReFormulated Fuel", rubber fuel line materials were upgraded back then to better resist the newly "alcohol-ized" gasoline. In more recent times, newer "E85 compatible" rubber fuel line products have surfaced. I think I'd try to use those, if possible.

Carburetor-wise, I think the leather accelerator pumps are preferable to the rubber-cup pumps, from what I've read. The rubber-tipped float needle/seat items might need to be upgraded, some how. IN any event, "NOS" is NOT an alternative for any carb rebuild kits or fuel pumps! Get the "fresher" stuff that's been built in the last 15 years or so. Don't forget about the rubber lines at the fuel tank, between the sending unit and the fuel lines on the body!

At one time a few years ago, Edlebrock had some E85-compatible AFB-style carbs for sale. Key thing was that the fuel calibrations were for E85 vs E10 fuels. Finding a rebuildable "Carter-style" fuel pump that'll work with E85 might be the best way to go.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467