1957 Buick gas tank options

Vintage_barry

Guest Rob McDonald

BARRY, all models of 1957 Buick use the same tank (maybe '58 too?). However, no other GM car that year has the same middle-of-the-bumper filler arrangement, so Olds and Cadillac tanks won't work even though the bodies are shared. There's been some discussion on these Forums of aftermarket tank manufacturers being able to fabricate something that fits. But getting the filler neck and gauge sending unit right is bound to be complicated and, besides, the tank just wouldn't look right from the rear.

If you can't find a good used one, I suggest you just take your old tank apart and fix what's wrong, then get the whole thing re-galvanized. Even at a shop that's qualified to do that, it could be cheaper and would be better than ordering a custom tank.

I'm looking to do the same job for my Buick. The bottom of the tank is so porous, the fuel evaporates away over time, without ever dripping on the floor. That's a huge fire hazard, which is why I don't put much gas in the car, the rare times that I run it.

Ditto what Bernie says.

Edited by Rob McDonald
we overlapped emails (see edit history)

Guest seeya2

like gary said classic auto parts .com or try a place in Monticello iowa called tanks inc I think they make them or gearhead enterprises in Hudson iowa I think they distribute them but not for sure

• 8 months later...

I tried to find a aftermarket tank that would work and after much resurch purchased a 59-60 Impala tank. I had to make a few alterations to get the tank in and in the long run it was just to long at 27-3/4" http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=172/category_id=124/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd172.htm compared to the 57' Buick tank that is 25-1/2" long and has the drivers side corner cut off at about a 45* angle to fit the exhaust. I just sent my tank out to be reconditioned by Gas Tank Renu. They said it would be a 5-day turnaround once the got the tank and the cost would be 375.00-425.00. I figured for that price and it was right it was a go. The closest Gas Tank Renu to me was Stockton, CA. Gas Tank Renu called after receiving the tank and said not a problem fixing my tank and the cost would be 375.00. I was happy. Well they called yesterday and told me that after sandblasting my tank could be fixed but it would be unethical to do so as it had about 20,000 holes in it. Damn Well I just bought another 57' Century parts car so hopefully that tank will be good enough to recondition. So I guess the gest of my story is I agree with the rest of the folks here, if your original tank can be repaired that is the best bet and there are several places on the East Coast that preform this service. I will say this in case anyone is interested. I did ask Gas Tank Renu if they would cut my 59-60 Impala tank down to 25-1/2" and cut the corner off to match the 57' Buick and they would perform those tasks and then recondition for the same price and I may end up doing that if I can not find a good original to recondition.

Berry, On another note I will be picking up the Century by this weekend at the latest and will let you know.

Thanks Dan

Edited by 421-6speed (see edit history)

Sometimes a franchise doesn't get you a competent person. An APW affiliate, radiator shop, and "oh we'll do gas tanks, too" is not the place I would look for a fabricator. A patch panel with stiffening beads rolled in can make short work of 20,000 holes. Were they going to smear solder all over to seal it? Take those boys a rusty Bentley tank with about a dozen chambers inside. They'd get a real case of the stutters.

Find a fabricator. They will fix it.

Bernie

Guest Rob McDonald

I just had my spare gas tank boiled out and tested. A small rust repair was required next to the fuel hose fitting. $120 all up. It doesn't look any different but I'm confident it will now do its simple job. Hope to install it this weekend and maybe fire up the engine - for the first time this century.

Sometimes a franchise doesn't get you a competent person. An APW affiliate, radiator shop, and "oh we'll do gas tanks, too" is not the place I would look for a fabricator. A patch panel with stiffening beads rolled in can make short work of 20,000 holes. Were they going to smear solder all over to seal it? Take those boys a rusty Bentley tank with about a dozen chambers inside. They'd get a real case of the stutters.

Find a fabricator. They will fix it.

Bernie

I bought another parts car with a good tank today.