64' Riv Dash Trim

TallJohn

Greetings. Just pulled my dash on my 64 Riv ( quite and education). I have been cleaning it up and a piece of the chome and black trim needs paint. Has anyone found a good color match for the black on the trim pieces? I have tried a few different blacks not liking any of them. Thanks for any recommendations. (Tall John #13594)

Guest Gseago

TallJohn if possible you might try taking a piece of dash that isn't faded to a automotive paint store, they have a device(can't remember the technical name) that can be used for color matching paint.

TallJohn if possible you might try taking a piece of dash that isn't faded to a automotive paint store, they have a device(can't remember the technical name) that can be used for color matching paint.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try after a couple more cans of paint. I need such a small amout for one piece, but it is a Riv!

Jim,

Try picking up a quart of Valspar Satin Black. It should be under 10 bucks. It gives a real nice finish that I like on inner fenders and underhood to look like factory. I think it will give you just what you want. Its a good durable urethane too.

Bernie

Another choice could be Rustoleum Satin Black, available in either spray or can. Over the years, I've paid too much for for "factory duplicate black" from places like YearOne, CARS etc. In the end, the Rustoleum ends up being the right satin at the right price. it is a really durable, forgiving and workable paint. PRL

Funny you should ask. My white exterior/black interior 64 has black paint specs flaking off on the black trim to the left of the steering column just below the metal trim gauge consol. What's underneath the black is the light blue that is another color option for the Rivi. Could this have come from the dealer or manufacturer? The car's previous owner never mentioned any repair/replacement of this in his 49 year old car diary. He wrote down everything he or anyone else ever did to the car with no mention of this replacement or coverup. Thanks for the your post and the answers.

Thanks all for the advice on the painted insert for the chrome trim on the dash. I tried a semi- gloss black ( rust-o-leum) that is close. I think I will try the satin and then just pick the closest. As far as the blue plastic under the black that Sweet64Rivi mentioned, it looks to me like it just was the color of the plastic they used. Just a guess. Again , thanks to all. John.

post-82052-143141809573_thumb.jpg This is SEM trim black.I also use this on the interior trim.It goes on thinner than Rustoleum and will require few light coats.It doesn't have that thick look that Rustoleum has.That being said, I love Rustoleum satin black for just about everything else. It is great for chassis and under hood and holds up for years. You also can't beat the price and how easy touch up is.

I used the same paint for the trim pieces that you are talking about.Just tape it off and mist on light coats.It does not cover very well at first so refrain from laying it on too thick.Nice thing is that it dries quickly, 10 minutes or so before I re-coat.Once paint has dried for an hour or two ,then pull the tape.I don't like leaving tape on too long.I purchase SEM from my local Car Quest auto parts store and I think NAPA carries it as well.If you can't find those stores in your area try to find an auto parts store that sells auto body paints and supplies.

I used the same paint for the trim pieces that you are talking about.Just tape it off and mist on light coats.It does not cover very well at first so refrain from laying it on too thick.Nice thing is that it dries quickly, 10 minutes or so before I re-coat.Once paint has dried for an hour or two ,then pull the tape.I don't like leaving tape on too long.I purchase SEM from my local Car Quest auto parts store and I think NAPA carries it as well.If you can't find those stores in your area try to find an auto parts store that sells auto body paints and supplies.

Ok . So I bought a can of SEM Black # 62213. Best match and appearance of any of the other paints I have tried. The NAPA store I bought the paint at had four different SEM black paints. The one I bought says "direct to all metal" the others were gloss and usable on seats and carpets as well as metal. At $16.00 for the can its not cheap but looks great. Good call "sharknose1". Thanks.

• 9 months later...
Greetings. Just pulled my dash on my 64 Riv ( quite and education). I have been cleaning it up and a piece of the chome and black trim needs paint. Has anyone found a good color match for the black on the trim pieces? I have tried a few different blacks not liking any of them. Thanks for any recommendations. (Tall John #13594)

Greetings.

I am ready to pull the dash on my 65 Riviera.

How difficult was it?

Any tips?

Thanks,

Marty

I would agree. Refer to the manual. Be methodical and don't force anything. the nuts that hold the trim pieces on can be a pain to get to. loosen up the steering column and get the chrome shrouds off. Pulling the steering wheel makes it a little easier to start.