AACA "Rules" for Touring?

Guest Power Wagon Guy

Guest Power Wagon Guy

AACA Forums,

At a recent AACA Mother Lode Region Tour here in California, Several of the Pre-WWII vehicles lagged behind the faster Modern-Iron (50's & 60's & Modified) cars. When one of the 'slower ' participants asked about the group slowing down, so the older cars might stay-up or not get too far behind the Pack. The Region President said: "AACA Touring rules do not mention slowing down for slower cars".

For the record, several other Antique Car Clubs in our area of California have some courtesy or 'Un-written' Rules: "If you can't see the car behind yours in the rear view mirrors, slow down or wait until you do" or basically said: "Leave NO car behind".

I'd like to know if our Region President is correct and the AACA has "Rules for Touring"?

Including a "Everyman/woman (car) for himself" Rule? If AACA has "Rules for Touring", with my 25 - 30 MPH vehicles, we won't be doing many (any) AACA sponsored Tours in the future.

Thanks for any current information anyone can share with me or the President of my Region.

Best "slow-car" Touring Regards,

Power Wagon Guy

dcmmld@wildblue.net

Well, there's probably not an "every man for himself" rule, but there's probably no rule stating that the faster cars have to go at the slower cars' pace, either. There are always "unwritten" rules and simple courtesy that most club members just instinctively observe, but you can't legislate behavior.

I've experienced this quite a bit myself in my 1929 Cadillac. The AACA's unique position makes for the wide spread of years and models, which makes it a great club, but at the same time creates the problems you're experiencing. I try to participate in as many tours as possible because it's absolutely my favorite thing to do with an old car. However, with many local AACA tours, I'm typically the oldest car in the field by far, with the next oldest car being, perhaps, a late-40s Cadillac and everyone else running '60s, '70s and even '80s hardware. Sure, I understand why they do it--the cars are easy to drive--but I agree with Power Wagon Guy; I hate being an anchor on the group and showing up at each stop as everyone else is pulling out. That's why I typically won't go on tours without confirming with several friends that they are also attending in their old iron. I don't mind going even slower for my brass-era friends, but hammering the car to keep up with modern stuff just stinks.

It's why I tend to prefer CCCA Caravans to big AACA tours. Granted, there are plenty of 1941-47 Cadillacs and Packards with which my car will not keep pace, but overall the performance spread of the cars is much closer in the CCCA (obviously). I've also found that on most CCCA tours that one of the organizers will bring up the rear to keep pace with stragglers rather than rushing ahead with the rest of the pack. Maybe they do that on bigger AACA tours, but on the local ones I've done it's pretty much every man for himself.

On the other hand, it's kind of a safety and respect issue to not travel in one big pack, which just screws up traffic for everyone else. I'd recommend finding three or four other like-minded individuals or folks with cars with similar performance, and sticking with them. If possible, try to be the first cars off to get a head start. Sure, by the end of the day you might be at the rear again, but I don't think it's realistic to expect other folks to idle along behind you in their faster iron. Your enjoyment and theirs have equal merit, and it's important to remember that driving a faster car slowly isn't much fun, either.

There aren't many AACA tours with strict age requirements for the cars, but plenty of specific clubs do tours that are geared for cars with similar performance. Brass tours, for example, ensure most of the cars are pretty compatible, and there are probably vintage truck clubs that do the same thing, and many others.

There's surely a middle ground and conscientious tour participants WILL employ the "no man left behind" rule as a courtesy, but making a written rule for it will only cause more problems, I'm afraid.

Well, to me, an antique car tour is easily defined.....getting there is a lot of the fun. Driving in a group on an old country road, taking one's time and enjoying the old cars, sights, sounds, and smells...that's fun. Then when you drive an early car with no windshield, you discover pockets of hot and cool air...so realize "temperature" is an average...a pleasure you won't get in a more modern car with windows up and AC on...

Again, to me, the faster cars should show courtesy and companionship to the slower cars, within reason. Don't take a Sears Autobuggy on a tour with '57 Chevies, for example.

All that said, some people just want to get from here to the other here as quickly as possible, and if they have a faster car then just wave goodbye to them!

This was one of the problems I had with my chapter's tours and with the attitude of many members. It's also why I dropped out of the AACA. The last chapter tour I went on in my Model A showed me that real antique cars are no longer a concern for many members. Everybody wants to go fast so they take their modern cars (even though they have older cars) on these local trips. What's the use of belonging to a club that's supposed to be for the enjoyment of antique cars yet no one will drive or even show their old cars. Things got so bad that I think only one member even shows his car anymore on a regular basis. I used to really enjoy spending time with folks who like "antiques" but now as membership gets younger I'm the odd duck..you don't even see any antiques at the local shows ,or the ones you do are modified or poorly fixed up( I won't use the word restored). Just my opinion!

Regional tours are a little different from National Tours. Generally, regions and chapters set their own rules concerning tours. On the other hand there are things that help prevent these problems.

1. Have more than one tour each touring season, some for early cars, others for later model cars.

2. If you are restricted to a wide variation of year models, have the earlier cars leave the starting point 45 minutes or so early, and the same for each stop thereafter.

3. Tours should have printed directions, so you can travel alone if you like. Time your starting time to make the lunch stop on time.

I've been on many local and National Tours. I like traveling by myself, especially when driving my 35 mph car, which spends a lot of the time waving faster vehicles to pass me. Early cars are cool and really get a lot of attention at stops where a lot of the public can check-her out.

Wayne

PS, my Tour Wife also said a "clean-up" vehicle should follow along behind just in case.

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

I've been involved with touring since 1959, and in just about every vintage and type of vehicle, have served multiple terms on AACA's Tour Committee, and have had the honor of chairing that committee.

I think Matt said it very well.

"There are always "unwritten" rules and simple courtesy that most club members just instinctively observe, but you can't legislate behavior.

There's surely a middle ground and conscientious tour participants WILL employ the "no man left behind" rule as a courtesy, but making a written rule for it will only cause more problems, I'm afraid."<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I believe that AACA does a very good job of coordinating National and Divisional Tours, and always encourages safety and courtesy. Some tours are general in nature, and some are age-specific. National does not regulate what a Region does in planning and conducting its local tours. Again, as Matt so aptly noted, "you can't legislate behavior", but I've toured with, and come to admire a wonderful community of old car enthusiasts who welcome the opportunity to share their love of the hobby with others.

When touring, we are a rollling car-show, and behavior is frequently an indication of up-bringing. We can act in a way which will, or would have made our parents proud.