Any Caddy LaSalle guys in General Discussion Section?

Guest Bob Call

I don't know for sure but I think the LaSalle had the same V8 as the Caddy. In high school one of my buddies had a 40 Caddy limo, bought from a funeral home for $75, it was a sweet ride and built like a tank.

I used to have a 39 LaSalle coupe. One of the cars I wish I still had. I still have a 41 Cadillac. The 40 Cadillac and LaSalle shared the same flathead V8 engine, chassis and drive train with some hardware differences. LaSalles were geared higher and generally lighter & quicker. The engines are the same but the Cad was bored out more with a bigger displacement and 150 HP vs 130 HP in the LaS. I believe they used the same carb but jetted differently. If your LaSalle is the 50 series, it has the smaller & lighter B body used on all other GM lines. If it is a 52 series it has the larger & heavier C body used on the Cadillac 62 series and big series Buick & Olds. Chevy & Pontiac did not use this body. The best design feature of the 40 LaS (IMO) is that the headlight pods are almost dissapeared into the fenders. Cadillac still had separate buckets in 40.

These late 30's & 40's Cad & LaS's are great driving and reliable cars. Plenty of power and good enough brakes to keep up with modern city traffic and can cruise at 60 or 65 on the highway (if you have the high rear ratio). NOS, used & Repro parts are available. The biggest issue with these cars is that the carb sits in the center of the V with the exhaust manifolds also on the inside with a cross over pipe so the carb is surrounded by exhaust heat on 3 sides and the fuel line runs in the middle of all this heat too. This engine is prone to vapor lock problems, especially with ethanol laced fuel. The best thing you can do is insulate the fuel line, up the chassis to the pump and between the pump and carb. You can also cheat by replacing the pre war carb with the post war version that looks like the same carb but it has anti-percolation.

Good luck

Early LaSalles had the same engine as a Cadillac but with a 1/8" shorter stroke. Don't know how long this applied.

1934-1936 LaSalle used the Oldsmobile inline flat head eight. In 1934 the engine was 240.3 cubic inches. In 1935 & 1936 the engine was enlarged to 248 cubic inches. This engine in a Oldsmobile would be 1932-1936 a 240 cubic inches, and a 257 cubic inch engine 1937- 1948. From 1937-1940 the V-8 LaSalle would be 322 cubic inches, while the Cadillac V-8 for 1940 was 346 cubic inches. The 346 Cadillac was used from 1936-1948.

This inline eight used by Cadillac uses a Oldsmobile block and it's design architecture is Oldsmobile. A similar concept is the 215 inline six designed by Chevrolet for use in only Pontiac Tempest from 1964-1965 that is machined to Pontiac's size specifications. Still a Chevrolet though.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

1934-1936 LaSalle used the Oldsmobile inline flat head eight. In 1934 the engine was 240.3 cubic inches. In 1935 & 1936 the engine was enlarged to 248 cubic inches. This engine in a Oldsmobile would be 1932-1936 a 240 cubic inches, and a 257 cubic inch engine 1937- 1948. From 1937-1940 the V-8 LaSalle would be 322 cubic inches, while the Cadillac V-8 for 1940 was 346 cubic inches. The 346 Cadillac was used from 1936-1948.

I think the 1934-36 LaSalle Inline 8 engine is more correctly defined as being "Oldsmobile-derived." It is a common mistake to simply say it was the same engine. Different crank, different valves, different pistons, different con rods, different compression, different carburetor diameter, etc.

I think the 1934-36 LaSalle Inline 8 engine is more correctly defined as being "Oldsmobile-derived." It is a common mistake to simply say it was the same engine. Different crank, different valves, different pistons, different con rods, different compression, different carburetor diameter, etc.

This inline eight used by Cadillac uses a Oldsmobile block and it's design architecture is Oldsmobile. A similar concept is the 215 inline six designed by Chevrolet for use in only Pontiac Tempest from 1964-1965 that is machined to Pontiac's size specifications. Still a Chevrolet though.

Well I was doing a little research Steve, on a LaSalle that was advertised in HMN and is local, but I am in like, not in love with the 52 sedan. Still all over the map in terms of a suitable stablemate for the MB, which continues to be a big hit around the house. Will keep you posted, sir!! :)