1930 DA-124

30DodgePanel

My S 114139 truck was the 4304th of series "E" and S 115179 was 5344th of series. A total of 6564 "E" series chassis were built in Stockton over 53 months. If production was uniform (I doubt this because of depression) these would be dates of May 1931 and Jan 1932 respectively.

One thing I find interesting is I have record of a DA-124 as S 115124. This was before my parts frame was stamped.

I will request build sheets.

Can you explain to me in kidlike terms how you came about these calculations, I see you speaking of prod. figures for 31-32, not sure what that has to do with your truck.

The only pic I could find that shows the split bumper seems to indicate that a Center mount is required for the tail lamp and license bracket assembly, therefore I doubt mine had a rear bumper. If you have something that suggests otherwise please let me know, but for now I see no mounting points for any such setup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185488[/ATTACH]

I thought I already sent you a sheet mentioning bumpers as being optional, cost ect?

I thought it mentioned that they would be shipped standard from the factory beginning suchnsuch date, maybe it was only fronts, cannot remember, maybe I am thinking of another model.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Not that I am aware of , I did notice a part number for the DA124 under the Rear Spring bumper but not sure how to tell at this point if mine would have had any kind of rear bumper. I highly doubt it with all the other information that we've discussed up to this point especially since there was no rear cross member. Just don't know where the bumper would have mounted to on mine because there wouldn't be enough holes to mount to with everything else we've discussed.

As for the wiper motor, it again was a part that I salvaged from the truck in Wisconsin. Spare tire carrier is on it's way as we speak. Here is a pic of the wiper motor before he pulled it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185131[/ATTACH]

Dave do you have this wiper. If not be careful removing it. I found mine and the mounts are broken. Not sure how it got damaged except the mounts are very fragile pot metal.

I hope to repair with JB Weld. That stuff is quite strong.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185489[/ATTACH]

I would suggest using panel bond

I thought I already sent you a sheet mentioning bumpers as being optional, cost ect?

I thought it mentioned that they would be shipped standard from the factory beginning suchnsuch date, maybe it was only fronts, cannot remember, maybe I am thinking of another model.

I don't recall anything that covered the rear bumper options, I'll double check and let you know.

Can you explain to me in kidlike terms how you came about these calculations, I see you speaking of prod. figures for 31-32, not sure what that has to do with your truck.

Total chassis produced = 116399-109835=6564 total "E" series from Stockton over a 53 month period. Starting in June 1928 and ending Jan 1932. Assuming uniform production my S 114xxx truck would be the 4304th truck produced in May 1931. Like I said before that uniform production is not likely.

I would like to confirm the differences between the DE, DEW, & DEF Models. These were carryover models from Graham Bros.

The E-DA series was the new model names of which my DE would be a E-DA. What then would be the new designation for the DEW and DEF? Or do they even exist?

Total chassis produced = 116399-109835=6564 total "E" series from Stockton over a 53 month period. Starting in June 1928 and ending Jan 1932. Assuming uniform production my S 114xxx truck would be the 4304th truck produced in May 1931. Like I said before that uniform production is not likely.

I would like to confirm the differences between the DE, DEW, & DEF Models. These were carryover models from Graham Bros.

The E-DA series was the new model names of which my DE would be a E-DA. What then would be the new designation for the DEW and DEF? Or do they even exist?

Great question, I too was confused so thanks for rephrasing it. Where do you find a listing for DE , DEW and DEF :confused:

EDIT: Ok, it must be in the Graham truck info somewhere.. can't find it in any of my literature.

I believe you guys are on the verge of kicking in another very good door ...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Dave do you have this wiper. If not be careful removing it. I found mine and the mounts are broken. Not sure how it got damaged except the mounts are very fragile pot metal.

Yeah the pics I posted are mine, the pic of it mounted on the windshield frame was just showing that it was pulled from the Wisconsin donor truck.

Thanks for the warning guys, I'll keep the JB weld and Panel bond in mind just incase.

Sorry Jason, not finding anything on the rear bumper that you sent, or anything mentioning dates or prices. Only thing I could find was our discussion early on in this thread that covered the front bumper and medallion being made by C.G. Spring while we discussed parts numbers but nothing on the rear bumper options that may have been available. But as I said, I highly doubt I had one to begin with so I will discontinue any search for any rear bumper option unless you or someone can prove my Panel truck came with one. Again, the mounting points on the frame and the lack of a rear cross member solidifies that fact for me personally.

EDIT:

Also, when looking at my avatar taken from the 3/4 ton parts book I don't see any rear bumper in that photo. I would think it would be shown as the front bumper is shown if I was to have one.

I have recieved portions of GB and DB manuals and have made a comparison of models. I also attached a page of the "Graham Brothers Handbook" that describs the DE & DEW chassis.

It appears the DEW has the 33x4-1/2 tire or 33"-9"=24' rim. This is a steel disc rim I believe.

I have the DE with wood spoke 21" rims and a set of steel spoke 20" rims. I know for sure I have a DE since I have the original toe board registration plate.

Once I get a handle on what the GB/DB models were I will hope to get the DA-120 model equivalant.

I do not have the build sheets for my trucks. All I can do is prorate based on frame numbers. I will summarize latter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185473[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]185472[/ATTACH]

Steel disk, that is what I mean to say, the heavier cast wheels were used on the larger trucks, sorry for the confusion

Sorry Jason, not finding anything on the rear bumper that you sent, or anything mentioning dates or prices. Only thing I could find was our discussion early on in this thread that covered the front bumper and medallion being made by C.G. Spring while we discussed parts numbers but nothing on the rear bumper options that may have been available. But as I said, I highly doubt I had one to begin with so I will discontinue any search for any rear bumper option unless you or someone can prove my Panel truck came with one. Again, the mounting points on the frame and the lack of a rear cross member solidifies that fact for me personally.

EDIT:

Also, when looking at my avatar taken from the 3/4 ton parts book I don't see any rear bumper in that photo. I would think it would be shown as the front bumper is shown if I was to have one.

I thought I had sent these already, no rear bumper mentioned according to these sheets as per date lower left corner, this means in my understanding rear bumper for this model un-available. This is exemplified by other models listing a rear bumper as an option. Sorry for the confusion

Photographs of the originals can be made avail if you want them

post-48869-143141823508_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141823521_thumb.jpg

Dave Sherman made a good point in a recent post, do you understand how to read your tire sizes as shown on these sheets?

Yes, this is real stretch for prod. figures, I have a list of trucks sold for specific years, they are scattered on a month by month basis, I will have to see if I have your particular year covered, unfortunately they do not break it down per model.

I believe I am the one that explained to you that they were a carryover, what I may not have mentioned was that these models DE,DEW and DEF used the Victory engine still. Your model would be the DA-120 series, I understand that you have found that tag under your cab and too be quite frank it is very difficult for me to remember the details of all the goings on with all of these different vehicles so unless you want to re-iterate the story with the tag and once again show photos and submit what you do know I cannot comment any further with anything that might help you to better understand your truck.

I would really suggest once again starting your own thread here on this forum, just like Dave did here, document everything you know about your truck on the one thread so that people with poor memories can go back and re-read what they need to know to help you get the information you would like to have concerning your truck.

Your not taking advantage of other people that may be able to help you solve some of your questions because those other people have 3 other people they are helping at the same time and simply cannot remember all of the facts.

Alot of unnecessary mistakes are made on my part because I cannot keep track of all of the facts of each truck we discuss.

Anyway this is from a Pamphlet clearly ( surprise surprise ) marked Jan of 1929 D.B trucks formerly G.B ect ect

I think it will help you see the small differences between the models, excuse my handwritten notes, as I slowly progress collecting information I try to make small notations.

post-48869-14314182357_thumb.jpg

BTW maybe one of you guys will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the ONLY time you will see full length runningboards as an avail option will be when the truck is equipped with single rear wheels. Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW maybe one of you guys will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the ONLY time you will see full length runningboards as an avail option will be when the truck is equipped with single rear wheels. Has anyone else noticed this?

The full length running boards tie into my rear fenders on my DE model. My parts truck had no rear fenders and was modified from the cowl back. Hard to say what it was originaly. If you do not have rear fenders the running boards would be shorter.

Not aware of any full lenght fenders with daul tires.

Jason thanks for scan of different models DE, DEF, & DEW.

Steel disk, that is what I mean to say, the heavier cast wheels were used on the larger trucks, sorry for the confusion

Looks like my parts truck is the series E-DA equivalent to DEF model. It was sold in 1931. It has 20" steel spokes and heavy 10 leave rear spring.

This is the chassis I am using. The wheelbase is 120".

This is as I found it in Riverside before the big California "Crush Them do not Keep Them" in the 70"s. Notice the headlights.

post-71470-14314182446_thumb.jpg

Looks like my parts truck is the series E-DA equivalent to DEF model. It was sold in 1931. It has 20" steel spokes and heavy 10 leave rear spring.

This is as I found it in Riverside before the big California "Crush Them do not Keep Them" in the 70"s. Notice the headlights.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185694[/ATTACH]

We both said disk, we meant spoke, very nice pictures, if I would have looked at the wheels without checking I would have said they were cast, I will have to try and find a picture of the cast so that I can see the differences.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185694[/ATTACH]

We both said disk, we meant spoke, very nice pictures, if I would have looked at the wheels without checking I would have said they were cast, I will have to try and find a picture of the cast so that I can see the differences.

Looks like a very solid GMC over to the right there, shame.

Looks like a very solid GMC over to the right there, shame.

OK we know the 31x5.25 is the 21" wood spoke rim which I have on my truck. Also the 30x5 is a 20" steel/iron spoke rim as shown in the picture.

The question what is the 33x4-1/2 rim? I believe it was the steel flat disc. What ya think?

Dave the DA 124 I have found in Long Beach CA. Had 20" wood spoke rims.

OK we know the 31x5.25 is the 21" wood spoke rim which I have on my truck. Also the 30x5 is a 20" steel/iron spoke rim as shown in the picture.

The question what is the 33x4-1/2 rim? I believe it was the steel flat disc. What ya think?

I believe you will find your wheels described as Malleable iron spoke.

The way I am looking at it from the info sheets I added here the ( DE ) 31 by 5.25 and the ( DEW ) 33 by 4 1/2 are the wood spoke rim, you will notice on the data sheet I supplied you months back that it lists both sizes and directly below that it lists wood spoke steel rim.

I think the question would be is what is the DEF wheel and the answer to that would be I believe the malleable iron spoke.

Yes look again DEF is the metal spoke also known as the malleable cast wheel. This is what you have on your truck.

DE and DEW wood spoke, DEF malleable wheel

Yeah I'm just waiting for the roster to come in snail mail so I can be sure and follow the proper channels for respect (privacy) sake.

I be rollin on 20's too yo ! Foshizzle... (don't ask, I'm just braindead right now)

post-69994-143141825861_thumb.jpg

Need 2 of these hubcaps if anyone has any or comes across any. The inside thread count is 8 row , 2 3/4" width. Also, the return edge is flat and makes a huge difference. These are not the round return edge ones like on most other DB vehicles.

post-69994-143141825984_thumb.jpg

Also, I need several of these nuts and clamp for the wheels. Sorry for my ignorance but are these Kelseys ? If so what exactly should I be looking for ? Need around 9 if I recall correctly.

post-69994-143141825897_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141825865_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141825926_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141825955_thumb.jpg

The way I am looking at it from the info sheets I added here the ( DE ) 31 by 5.25 and the ( DEW ) 33 by 4 1/2 are the wood spoke rim, you will notice on the data sheet I supplied you months back that it lists both sizes and directly below that it lists wood spoke steel rim.

I think the question would be is what is the DEF wheel and the answer to that would be I believe the malleable iron spoke.

Yes look again DEF is the metal spoke also known as the malleable cast wheel. This is what you have on your truck.

Thanks Jason. It would be good to have an example of the 24" wood spoke. I have not come across one yet.

Found another truck that has the same type of dash lamps that my 30 Panel is suppose to have. The pic is courtesy of Wyobob who has this 29 1/2 ton pickup with the same dash as mine. Thanks Bob !

Even though I am still in need of these parts it's very encouraging to talk to someone else who can confirm and compare parts and options with.

post-69994-143141826101_thumb.jpg

Sherman, would these trucks be a possibility ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185865[/ATTACH]

Great article. These appear to early "E" series. Note the single cream color trim belt line that extends to the hood.

Could you sent a better scan? It is hard to see details.

Thanks

Still looking for example photo of 33x 4-1/2 rim or 33" - 2x4.5 = 24" rim. I wonder if this wasn't for export trucks only.

They also used an almost solid disk wheel, I have photos but have not looked into it too deeply, as far as what I have noticed they were used on the larger tonnage trucks

They also used an almost solid disk wheel, I have photos but have not looked into it too deeply, as far as what I have noticed they were used on the larger tonnage trucks

Here is photos of 1926 trucks. See page 52 of the book "The Dodge Story" by McPherson. There was a steel disk for the 3/4 ton also.

post-71470-14314182796_thumb.jpg

Maybe you could ask the seller to post a larger clearer image cause you cant quite make out what the rim sizes are :)

Maybe you could ask the seller to post a larger clearer image cause you cant quite make out what the rim sizes are :)

yeah I knew it was a stretch but wth... Was hoping someone had a program they could capture the photo then convert it to scale ;)

Hey, it's worth a shot :rolleyes:

yeah I knew it was a stretch but wth... Was hoping someone had a program they could capture the photo then convert it to scale ;)

Hey, it's worth a shot :rolleyes:

If the resolution is less the 100 kb there is not much you can do with it with any software.

Check out this e-bay post of a lot of manuals.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Ken-McGee-Auto-Literature/_i.html?_nkw=Dodge%20brothers&submit=Search

Not that I am aware of , I did notice a part number for the DA124 under the Rear Spring bumper but not sure how to tell at this point if mine would have had any kind of rear bumper. I highly doubt it with all the other information that we've discussed up to this point especially since there was no rear cross member. Just don't know where the bumper would have mounted to on mine because there wouldn't be enough holes to mount to with everything else we've discussed.

As for the wiper motor, it again was a part that I salvaged from the truck in Wisconsin. Spare tire carrier is on it's way as we speak. Here is a pic of the wiper motor before he pulled it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185131[/ATTACH]

Completed my "MacGyver" repair and appears to be successful. The trick was to build a form to hold it while the JB Weld cured. Time will tell.

post-71470-143141828947_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143141828958_thumb.jpg

Must have said something right..

Try it again, he posted better photos and more of them too !

Dodge 1930 Truck Sales Brochure | eBay

EDIT: BTW, I think the darker Panel trucks are 3/4 tons with steel wheels. Notice there isn't a spare mounted on the side, thats usually a dead give away for 3/4 ton or larger...

Completed my "MacGyver" repair and appears to be successful. The trick was to build a form to hold it while the JB Weld cured. Time will tell.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]186113[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]186112[/ATTACH]

Thats good Sherman... let us know how it holds once you get it hooked up. I think I'm a ways from that stage but always curious to learn what works and what doesn't.

I don't know if you noticed but the one I have has some rust pitting on the oval shaped cover plates, I was thinking of using other covers from a donor vac I have that still has a nice finish but I'd have to drill the holes needed to make it work.

Anyone ever tried switching covers on a vac before , drilling for holes that would be needed (see photo below) ? If the covers are the same size will it work or would I need the exact same pieces from an exact donor ?

post-69994-143141830072_thumb.jpg