1930 DA-124

30DodgePanel

Hi all ,

I'm trying to find answers for a 1930 DA-124"WB 3/4 ton Panel Truck. Though many extra parts came with the truck when I purchased it, some are not correct for the vehicle so I have been in search of the correct parts that will be needed along with other answers in relation to the vehicle.

Heres a small list of items I need help with :

1.) Who built the body ?

2.) Front bumper medallion looks to be V shaped. Has anyone ever seen a medallion like this before on any Dodge Brother vehicle ?

3.) Need to know what the exact style of tail light and bracket I need.

4.) Any interior wood structure photos or dimension of the roof for proper re-installation.

5.) Any rear photos of the vehicle will help tremendously.

post-69994-143141774002_thumb.jpg

Dave, how about posting some pict. of your truck, I am especially interested in interior all views possible, top to bottom side to side and underhood shots as well ( I know there is no engine there yet ) I know you posted some exterior shots a long time ago but I think they were before your purchase and were distant shots so hard to see the details.

Sent you a couple of PMs now with no response as well.

I think these panel trucks are the nicest looking trucks that G.B/-D/B ever built and if it were not for all the wood I would be pursuing a purchase of one myself.

What is the condition of the wood within your truck?

Hi Jason, don't know about the PM's .... everything you've sent I've responded to.

The truck is in storage right now and I cannot gain good access to it currently. If I can I'll get pics as soon as possible but it may be awhile. I was just hoping to learn what the dimensions are and complete some research in the meantime since it will be months maybe years before I can begin any real work on the truck.

Since I'm trying to keep it as original and period correct (as much as possible) I'll try and salvage the wood for the most part... some lower pieces around the doors and thresh areas will need some work so once I get to the wood resto stage I'll try and salvage what I can and use the rest as templetes. All wood will go through a hand sanding and bleaching process in order to insure uniformity unless anyone can recommend a better approach. I can probably speed up the process with a plane or belt sander but yikes !! NO WAY! For now, I'm still trying to get to know the truck and looking for anything that would show interior design of the wood roof structure. I only have 2 photos on file that I've saved but are of little help for the roof design. When I can get access to it I'll get some better pics for you.

post-69994-143141774086_thumb.jpg

These 3 photos below are of a 1928 Graham Brothers 1/2 ton Panel that I found on the web but I don't know if the roof structure is original. To me it looks like the work was altered but I don't know to what extent...obviously some new screws and a new upper rail support piece but, other than that it does appear to be original. Keep in mind this is a 1/2 ton and mine is a 3/4 ton so the lengths and design may be different,,,, and in fact at first glance there are some differences when comparing the two different cargo spaces and designs of the vertical supports. And although the back doors are identical to mine, the interior of cab is different but I just included the interior cab shot from the passengers side so you would have an idea of how original and complete this truck was. I believe the interior of the cab is similar if not exact to Shermans Stockton built truck.

post-69994-143141774108_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141774072_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141774104_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141774106_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Those are nice pictures, I am jealous for sure, pictured below is my favorite body, I love the long W.B. Those raised floor deals ( cannot remember the correct phrase that was used ) were a big deal for G.B and maybe D.B. I remember it was always pointed out within literature for Graham.

I am glad that you are now working on it now, it is best that it just sits if you are not in a position to begin work and as you say this will give you time to become very familiar.

BTW I REALLY like the add you posted above, that must be new, I know you have said that you have no pictures other than the avatar you are using.

1- 1.) Who built the body ?.................. We can work on this Dave, I gave you some info via P.M but I am sure I can add to that.

2- 2.) Front bumper medallion looks to be V shaped. Has anyone ever seen a medallion like this before.............Can you provide a picture of what you are talking about.........Ok I see it in the add you posted, that is a new one on me, I have never seen that medallion. I would have guessed that you medallion would have copied passenger cars.

3- 3.) Need to know what the exact style of tail light and bracket I need............I can help on this I believe no problem

4- 4.) Any interior wood structure photos or dimension of the roof for proper re-installation............I can maybe help but I am sure I cannot get as specific as you would like

5- 5.) Any rear photos of the vehicle will help tremendously...........I dont see why I would not be able to help with this, I will have to look

post-48869-143141774774_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

You do realize front bumpers were extra correct ? 8.50 cents extra

Two different size wheel/ tire size as well over the standard

My favorite was the side door panel, ever seen pics of that model?

When did it increase from 120 W.B to 124, do you know an exact time frame, I see it was somewhere between March of 1929 and Jan 1930

Can you tell me if your truck originally came with a tire pump or was that an avail option with your truck, who was the manuf?

If you would like an original version let me know but it would only be a digital photo since I am not going to scan the booklet any longer due to wear and tear, anyway consider the date I have printed above this would most likely be the 12o inch or the model just prior to yours, I do not know if I have your page, I have not got that far yet, I will pick at this a little at a time. I have worked all day and am tired but I am quite sure this view would pertain to your own truck in many ways.

Yes I just confirmed this would be the 120 chassis which was replaced by the 124 sometime after March of 1929. I can give an almost exact date of that change if you would like, I just have to look in another book

post-48869-143141774777_thumb.jpg

These 3 photos below are of a 1928 Graham Brothers 1/2 ton Panel that I found on the web but I don't know if the roof structure is original. To me it looks like the work was altered but I don't know to what extent...obviously some new screws and a new upper rail support piece but, other than that it does appear to be original. Keep in mind this is a 1/2 ton and mine is a 3/4 ton so the lengths and design may be different,,,, and in fact at first glance there are some differences when comparing the two different cargo spaces and designs of the vertical supports. And although the back doors are identical to mine, the interior of cab is different but I just included the interior cab shot from the passengers side so you would have an idea of how original and complete this truck was. I believe the interior of the cab is similar if not exact to Shermans Stockton built truck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]180362[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]180363[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]180364[/ATTACH]

My dash is similar, but it does not have the raised area above the panel light. This area is flat.

I will forward a previous tread addressing the cab construction. From I see it does not look modified.

Do you have any additional information on this truck. I noticed it does not have the smaller quarter windows.

Thanks for photos.

Edited by stakeside
Typo error (see edit history)

Sherman,

I found the info and the truck on this link : http://www.graham-paige.com/pics.htm

Also listed on there is a very nice truck that I believe is identical to yours. Quite a few photos to look at but if you scroll down you'll see your truck, the Panel and many other beauties along with an original Highway Patrol Vehicle that is said to have been the beginnings of what later became AAA.

Here is a brief story on the Graham truck

Corky Rossman's 1928 Graham Brothers Panel TruckHere are some of the pictures of the 28 Graham panel. I bought this from the grandson of the man who bought it new in 1928. I have all the history of the truck and pictures of the original owner standing in the grocery store that this truck delivered grocery's for from 1928 to 1954 in Pekin, Illinois. It was then put in storage for approximately 53 years, when this grandson got the truck out of storage and got it running. We drove the truck for a couple of weeks and it ran good but smoked a lot. I have since upgraded the truck to modern drive train but have left the body as found. More pictures to follow.

Now thats the find of a lifetime !

Edited by 30DodgePanel
sometimes I just can't spell... (see edit history)

You do realize front bumpers were extra correct ? 8.50 cents extra - No, I did not realize that

Two different size wheel/ tire size as well over the standard

My favorite was the side door panel, ever seen pics of that model? - No, please show examples if you have them

When did it increase from 120 W.B to 124, do you know an exact time frame, I see it was somewhere between March of 1929 and Jan 1930 -

Yes I would like to know more precisely when this occurred when you get time.

Can you tell me if your truck originally came with a tire pump or was that an avail option with your truck, who was the manuf? -

In my 3/4 parts list book it did show a complete list of tools by part number that came with the truck originally, but I'll have to get back to you on the tools listing if you need a part number

Jason, also on the chassis and 930 model and the original cost:

I haven't came across that info. Still looking for any original documentation that shows that type of info but so far have had no luck. I have had a couple of people (one with the WPC news and another with the Plymouth Club) who sent me info that stated similar figures to what you are showing but when called upon to produce a copy of that documentation they simply quit replying.. and haven't heard from them since, that was several months ago.

If you would like an original version let me know but it would only be a digital photo since I am not going to scan the booklet any longer due to wear and tear, anyway consider the date I have printed above this would most likely be the 12o inch or the model just prior to yours, I do not know if I have your page, I have not got that far yet, I will pick at this a little at a time. I have worked all day and am tired but I am quite sure this view would pertain to your own truck in many ways.

Don't rush it or risk damaging that book, just post what you can when you get the time. Every bit helps but I'm in no rush for this info

Dave did you see my post "28 DB truck woodwork"? Look at #7. This may be identical to your DA 124 roof construction.

I can forward may roof slat dimensions when you are to that point. Mine were only about 5 feet long and it required a lot of assistance from friends with wood working tools to complete. They were ripped sawn from a 1 /78" plank. I used white oak.

If you do not have the wood shop to complete I would suggest that you use a shop to fabricate the slats.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f148/107500d1322172869-1930-dodge-brothers-1-ton-slatts-1.jpg

Thanks for link.

Note that the frame has the curved frame over the rear axle.

On the truck that is like yours ? Are you sure ? I thought it was straight also ...

I did notice a couple of really neat features on it that I hadn't noticed before like the dash light (never seen that shape before) and the rear cross frame rail that has a "Graham Brothers" badge. Thats a beautiful truck.

Dave did you see my post "28 DB truck woodwork"? Look at #7. This may be identical to your DA 124 roof construction.

I can forward may roof slat dimensions when you are to that point. Mine were only about 5 feet long and it required a lot of assistance from friends with wood working tools to complete. They were ripped sawn from a 1 /78" plank. I used white oak.

If you do not have the wood shop to complete I would suggest that you use a shop to fabricate the slats.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f148/107500d1322172869-1930-dodge-brothers-1-ton-slatts-1.jpg

Hey thanks for that link, alot of great information there to compare and refer to once I get to that stage. Saved ! Thanks again Sherman

Hello Dave,

Here's a picture showing the bumper you were asking about. This photograph was taken by a friend at the 1969 Reno Swap Meet.

Man that is one gorgeous truck... thanks for posting it David. I hate to ask what it sold for in 69'...

Can you tell me if you recall your friend ever discribing the design or shape in detail ?

Also, have you personally ever seen another one anywhere or is this particular medallion been a bit of a mystery for a while now ?

I've seen some DB cars that have a similar shape but those medallions on the cars seem to be higher or longer and reach from the top bumper rail to the bottom where these medallions that are on these particular trucks seem smaller and shorter in length. Also, another thing I've never noticed before was that the bumper ends have a slight inward bend about a foot from each ends similar to the early Ford bumpers but not as pronounced of a bend as the Fords, so that tells me I have the wrong bumper and medallion now...darn it.

Thanks again for posting that David, thats the best view of it I've seen so far.

If anyone has a photo program that could enhance that design and shape in more detail I'd be very grateful.

On the truck that is like yours ? Are you sure ? I thought it was straight also ...

I did notice a couple of really neat features on it that I hadn't noticed before like the dash light (never seen that shape before) and the rear cross frame rail that has a "Graham Brothers" badge. Thats a beautiful truck.

My DB truck has the same dash instruments and dash light.

The frame is defiantly curved. You can see the rear spring shackle.

The "E" series trucks either GB and DB carry a nameplate on the back of the real crossmember. To find and intact original would be rare. All that remains of my nameplate is just a thin sheet of rust.

My DB truck has the same dash instruments and dash light.

The frame is defiantly curved. You can see the rear spring shackle.

The "E" series trucks either GB and DB carry a nameplate on the back of the real crossmember. To find and intact original would be rare. All that remains of my nameplate is just a thin sheet of rust.

I understand ..., thats the shape my tag was in too.

I did buy a DB tag for the rear a while back and stored it with the other parts for when it's ready to be put on the truck so the tags can be found, but I would think the GB tags are a VERY RARE find ....

I can't recall if I've seen the info before but is your 29 suppose to have a DB or a GB tag ? If you need a GB I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I come across one.

As for the dash light and frame, I see now... thanks for pointing that out.

Sherman,

I found the info and the truck on this link : http://www.graham-paige.com/pics.htm

Also listed on there is a very nice truck that I believe is identical to yours. Quite a few photos to look at but if you scroll down you'll see your truck, the Panel and many other beauties along with an original Highway Patrol Vehicle that is said to have been the beginnings of what later became AAA.

Here is a brief story on the Graham truck

Corky Rossman's 1928 Graham Brothers Panel TruckHere are some of the pictures of the 28 Graham panel. I bought this from the grandson of the man who bought it new in 1928. I have all the history of the truck and pictures of the original owner standing in the grocery store that this truck delivered grocery's for from 1928 to 1954 in Pekin, Illinois. It was then put in storage for approximately 53 years, when this grandson got the truck out of storage and got it running. We drove the truck for a couple of weeks and it ran good but smoked a lot. I have since upgraded the truck to modern drive train but have left the body as found. More pictures to follow.

Now thats the find of a lifetime !

Takes a special kind of idiot to do what was done to this truck, great pictures though anyway

Takes a special kind of idiot to do what was done to this truck, great pictures though anyway

Yeah I was very discouraged to read he switched out the drivetrain too...

Most of us would give an arm and a leg for that kind of "original" find. Sure is a shame...

If you wanted to halve the value of a Truck like this over here, you would do just what he has done!

Ray.

It's like that here as well... but I would see it as an opportunity to grab it on the cheap then relocate a proper drivetrain. Of course, by that point the frame may need some work if they hacked anything but still, it would be worth it to try and bring the ole girl back.

I could see if the truck were in pieces and butchered but to alter a frame on a fine vehicle just boggles the mind doesn't it... lets hope he didn't do that in this case but chances are, we all know he had to.

30DodgePanel

I noticed an interesting thing today. I have some photos of a 30 DB truck model DA 124. This is a Stockton truck as is my truck a DEW 120" WB. Note the rear quarter window is smaller than mine and door panels have a rasied area.

This truck has a S 115xxx frame also as is mine, but is numbered sequence is 50 less than mine. Also the motor # H87xxx is smaller than mine. Mine is registered as a California 1931.

I can not tell if has a straight frame over the rear axle. Does yours have a straight frame?

post-71470-143141776034_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143141776015_thumb.jpg

post-71470-14314177602_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143141776025_thumb.jpg

post-71470-14314177603_thumb.jpg

30DodgePanel

I noticed an interesting thing today. I have some photos of a 30 DB truck model DA 124. This is a Stockton truck as is my truck a DEW 120" WB. Note the rear quarter window is smaller than mine and door panels have a rasied area.

This truck has a S 115xxx frame also as is mine, but is numbered sequence is 50 less than mine. Also the motor # H87xxx is smaller than mine. Mine is registered as a California 1931.

I can not tell if has a straight frame over the rear axle. Does yours have a straight frame?

No mine has the rear hump over the axle.

Thats an interesting truck, the interior is the same as mine (very encouraging, thanks).

I'm gonna have to study these for a while now. Thanks again Sherman for posting those, very helpful and good to see another one making it's way back. Man he has some parts on their I would die for.

EDIT: THATS THE MEDALLION !

Sherman , can you contact the owner ? Do you know who owns that truck ? I'd like a better photo of the medallion if you can make contact. Very encouraging...

Jason, also on the chassis and 930 model and the original cost:

I haven't came across that info. Still looking for any original documentation that shows that type of info but so far have had no luck. I have had a couple of people (one with the WPC news and another with the Plymouth Club) who sent me info that stated similar figures to what you are showing but when called upon to produce a copy of that documentation they simply quit replying.. and haven't heard from them since, that was several months ago.

Here is the documentation

post-48869-143141776142_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know who may have been the manufacturer of the bumper and medallion for this specific truck on topic ?

I've read recently that Stewart Warner would have been a major supplier of bumpers and medallions for many different makes of cars so did they make them for trucks also ?

E.G or C.G spring without looking it up off the top of my head, I will see if that is correct and let you know.....CG spring I believe

C.G Spring Detroit Michigan held the contract for quite a few years with Dodge Brothers automobiles, sometime late 30 31 it went to central brass with the DH series.

Thanks Jason. Only thing I have been able to find on C.G. Spring so far is some patent info around 26 with no pics or info on the medallion in question.

Just curious, have you ever came across any original C.G. Spring brochures ?

Also, just to be clear, are you saying Stewart Warner would not have produced bumpers or medallions for the Dodge Brothers truck line ?

No I never have come across anything that I can remember except that they are listed as the manuf. of bumpers within the D.B Passenger car Master Parts list during this time frame we are discussing.

I am assuming you looked within the truck MPB ( cause I have not )to look for a manuf. name?

I am sure Stewart manuf. bumpers for all of the D.B lines whether it be cars or trucks but I am also fairly certain these would have been offered as an aftermarket or add-on acces. after the fact of purchase.

It would make no sense in my opinion for D.B to have multiple contracts going at one time ( unless of course the initial manuf. that won the contract could not keep up with quantity needed which was admittedly a common feature of dealing with a big name like D.B ) with different manufacturers of the same item so I am confident to say that C.G spring would have supplied the bumpers for your truck.

It is not written in stone with anything I have so be my guest to disqualify my idea.

Yeah it makes sense, but, the Truck MPB for all trucks and my 3/4 ton PL are showing a different number for the "bumper assembly" than what is listed on the page you provided for the DA's.

Also, no mention of the medallion or C.G. Spring in any of the truck PL's that I've looked in, but yet the medallion on the page you provided is mentioned and given a part number.

So am I to go by that or the part number given in the truck PL's ?

The truck bumper and the car bumper are not going to carry the same part number because they are not the same bumpers, DA series of bumpers alone did not carry the same bumpers amongst the few models they offered because of width variances.

I dont know what PL is ( Ok parts list ) but if you are looking for the correct part number for the bumper of your truck than use the part number that is associated with your truck, you asked above whom the manuf. was for the bumper, you never mentioned part numbers.

If you think about this, is there any chance that your truck frame and a ( for instance ) DA car frame are going to be the same, how about bumper mounting position/orientation, no way, two completely different bumpers.

Edit: BTW I did not verify that according to the MPB listing I gave you that DA bumpers were not all interchangeable, I do not know if that listing agrees with that statement, if it does not agree though than it is incorrect/lacking information

Your bumper center clamp ( this is your medallion ) is part # 543644

Interesting that it is showing part # 543642 as your front bar and quantity of 1

Back bar ( or bar that attached to the frame ) is 543643 according to the Truck MPB, are these the correct numbers when referring to the model specific? You tell me.

Seeking any help on a part for this DA-124 truck on topic. If anyone out there has a listing for this part please let me know.

The part I'm trying to complete research on is the windshield frame, I have not been able to lock down a part number anywhere. I've looked in 3/4 ton parts list books specific for this truck but have not seen a listing for the windshield part #. I've also looked in the MPB over and over but with no luck in their either.

My goal is to try and confirm if the windshield frame for the 3/4 ton truck on topic may have been interchangable with other weight classes but without a number I cannot confirm. I do have a windshield for the truck but it will need some welding work and I was hoping to find one all original that fits correctly.

Any help is appreciated

I have looked everywhere that I can and have no number for the DA-124 windshield frame, might have other frame numbers but that will not do you any good. Best thing to do would be to x out the frame and take some other comparative measurements if the numbers cannot be found.

I have looked everywhere that I can and have no number for the DA-124 windshield frame, might have other frame numbers but that will not do you any good. Best thing to do would be to x out the frame and take some other comparative measurements if the numbers cannot be found.

I will send a picture of my DE model frame and will get outside dimensions also. I will try to get to you by Tuesday.

Thanks Sherman,

Very curious to know the results. I wish that that one guy "1929 DodgeTruck" (I think is his screen name) would provide some input here as well.

Jason,

no pics of the tail light or rear of the truck yet ? No rush , was just curious.

Thanks for all the help everyone.