VIN location 1950 Desoto

Guest mlangbauer

Guest mlangbauer

Question for the experts. I have to get a VIN verification on my 50 Desoto because when I bought the car it has a Wyoming title and I live in Colorado. Colorado requires it before they will issue a Colorado title. There is a tag on the drivers side door but that number does not match what is on the title. From what I understand that actual "VIN" is stamped on the engine block. Is this true?

Thanks!

There is no "actual VIN" on your car. The serial number which Chrysler used to track the vehicle is on the driver's side door. The engine number is stamped on a boss on the block just above the generator. And there is a body number on the engine side of the firewall.

The original engine number should also be stamped on the frame on the driver's side around the kick up for the rear axle but may be very difficult to find as they were often only lightly stamped.

Some states used the serial number to register the vehicle. Many states used the engine number to register the vehicle.

If the registration number starts with an "S" then it is probably the engine number they were using.

If the engine has been swapped out, which is pretty common, and you can't find the number stamped on the frame which is also pretty common, then you might be able to get the state to accept documentation from Chrysler Historical showing the original engine number that shipped with your car: They can look up the "build card" for your vehicle which is filed by serial number.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Guest mlangbauer

Thank you!! This is very helpful. The registration number on the Wyoming title starts with an "S"....so I will show the state the engine number. Hopefully since it is so old and they don't really know what they are looking for they will just sign off on everything.

I am always amazed at the different state requirements.

My friend walked inti a DMV in the Seattle area the other day to ask what he may need to change the title on his 31 Dodge that has a clear Oregon title. We were thinking that he would need to bring the car for identity, however it is still in Oregon.

Long story short, he walked out if the DMV with plates and registration in hand.

This would NEVER happen in Oregon with an out of state title.

Isn't the VIN on the driver's door post rather than the door? This is the number usually used for registration purposes?

Engine number stamped on a raised pad, on the engine block, left side, front, just below the head.

1950 DeSoto should be an S14 model. Serial number and engine number should start with S14.

Isn't the VIN on the driver's door post rather than the door? This is the number usually used for registration purposes?

Engine number stamped on a raised pad, on the engine block, left side, front, just below the head.

1950 DeSoto should be an S14 model. Serial number and engine number should start with S14.

Yes, the serial number should be on the door post. But it should be all numbers, no "S" prefix.

It would be in your best interest to use the correct serial number in acquiring a title. That number is the one on the door jamb as stated before. That serial # will most likely, and should, stay with the car throughout its existence. If you use an engine # and then the engine block is changed at some time, then you would need to go through the entire process again.

Do it right now and avoid hassles later on.