What does this headlight bar fit

one-shot

Looks like 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 except those "bumps" on top of the headlamp buckets and the straight bar. The Dodge one is curved. Are there any holes in the front of the bar near the center?

Hi John, hope this pic works. The pic is one you IDed as a 29 Ply car 2 weeks ago.

Your 31 Dodge, and my old 29-30 DeSoto K's had a bar that was curved up a bit between the two lights. My old 29 Ply was like this pic below; the bar on those is straight between the lights.

But I know I have never seen buckets like those with the bumps at the top. Those bumps look odd to me, where the metal was split. Did someone do that in later years? Would a car company slit those like that?

post-59419-143141763297_thumb.jpg

The car in the black and white pic can't be a Plymouth because it has cowl lamps. More likely a DeSoto maybe?

Those are add-on lights. DeSoto and Chryslers used a full cowl band with cowl lights. I used that same pic yesterday on a cowl light ID thread, in that I suggested his odd light was an add-on.

The car in the black and white pic can't be a Plymouth because it has cowl lamps. More likely a DeSoto maybe?

Those cowl lamps look to be a later addition to the car. I don't think Chrysler Corporation had any cowl lamp brackets with big, hulking screw heads like in the photo. The emblem on the radiator shell with the white sails and the radiator cap with the wings i.d. it as a Plymouth.....at least, to me.

And...oh yeah....the Plymouth has the straight bar.

There are a few other features ID'ing it as a "29" Plymouth in the pic. The 29U had twin front bumper clamps, the 28Q had a center one like 29 DeS, and as I recall, Q used grooved bumper bars.

Another is that wider body pressing at the top center of the cowl. DeSoto and Chry used a similar style but not nearly as wide.

DeS and Chry used a hidden cowl light wire that went through the cowl arm bracket, not an external armored cable like that one.

Q and U radiator shells were 2" shorter in height than Desoto K and Chry 65.

Such a strange glitch in the AACa software? Sometimes you see a double word in a post, but when you go to "edit" it only shows one word. I've noticed that more than a few times lately. Above, it shows that I wrote: bumper bumper.

Well, I hope somone ID's those strangle headlight buckets. I'd like to see what the rim looked like.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

post-76574-143141768317_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this is any help. I can find no markings of any kind. This end of bar has correct bend. Someone must have used it as a pry bar at one time. I did find the inserts for both buckets. 10 1/4 outside dia of bucket. No holes in bar except for bolt to bucket on both ends. The whole bar is a stamped and rolled one piece steel, Hollow on the inside. Low budget.

post-76574-143141768264_thumb.jpg

post-76574-143141768284_thumb.jpg

post-76574-1431417683_thumb.jpg

Edited by one-shot (see edit history)

There should be a plate at each end of the headlamp bar with two holes in each plate. Carriage bolts go through the headlamp bar ends, through contoured washers/gaskets, through the fenders & fender brackets and then fastened with washers and nuts from under the fenders.

I see now the ridge on the headlamp bucket in this photo of this 1930 Chrysler '66' coupe. I thought that it was a graduated ridge as on the bezel, but I guess it is smooth. Here is the end of the headlamp bar on my '31 DB where it bolts to the fender. The bar on the '66' is curved.......

post-37352-143141769505_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141769515_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141769525_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141769533_thumb.jpg